Updating

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Gospel Library application.
dvan

Updating

Post by dvan »

Today (Sunday) my Gospel Library (iPad) started an update right before I went to my ward meetings.

The update continued through both hours and, is still going an hour after I arrived home and plugged the iPad in.

I don’t believe the app asked if it could update before beginning and I don’t see a button or other method to stop the update short of rebooting the iPad.

I’m on high-speed internet at home and haven’t noticed any speed problems at our stake center where our ward meets.

As I mentioned, I don’t recall taking any action to affirmatively start the update. If asked, I would have elected to wait until I returned home.

I was able to follow along with the talks and lesson on my phone, but would have preferred to use my iPad. I usually use materials on my iPad for visual aids on a large-screen TV when I’m teaching. Fortunately, I wasn’t scheduled to teach today.

I just checked and the update is continuing about 3.5 hours after it was started, so I guess it’s time to reboot. In my perfect world, the update program would skip Sundays.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Updating

Post by sbradshaw »

What kind of update? An update to the app itself, or a content update? Were you stuck on the splash screen with the white Moroni? If it was an update to the app itself, that's all controlled through Apple's App Store and there are settings to prevent automatic updates. 3.5 hours is definitely a problem. Any update that blocks you from using the app, under normal circumstances, shouldn't take more than 5 minutes. There may be updates that happen in the background while you're using the app that take longer, if you have a lot of books installed that need to be updated.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “iPhone/iPad Gospel Library”