HP Touchpad apps

Discussions around the WebOS (Palm Pre, Palm Pixi, HP Touchpad) versions of the Gospel Library application.
stevenamorrison
New Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:25 pm

Postby stevenamorrison » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:43 pm

I just compiled this and tried it out on the Touchpad emulator. Are there currently plans to add access to the content that is available on the Android version? i.e. Church magazines, greater number of church manuals, etc.?

I'm not complaining, just wondering. I think it's great to have what we do have.

afanofosc
New Member
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:08 pm

Postby afanofosc » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:04 pm

I was working on the latest webOS SVN code to try to organize the content more like how the Android version has its content organized and ran into the fact that there are no web services to retrieve content in xml format like what is currently used in the webOS version. At least I could not find any. I wanted to add static content like the existing xml files but that does not seem to be currently possible. Any chance someone on the webOS team could comment on where the existing xml content came from and if it is possible to obtain additional materials to compile into the webOS version of the gospel library mobile application? The webOS platform is not listed in the gospel library catalog web services output for the platforms query. Is it possible to extract xml content from the zbook format that can be retrieved via platform=1?

John Hansen

halverson
New Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:54 pm

Postby halverson » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:57 pm

I'm not sure if this helps but there is a xml2webosjson in the svn repository at scriptures/tools/webos/trunk/ldsxml2webOSjson.pl

kmartind
New Member
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:43 pm

Postby kmartind » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:48 pm

Wow, the full screen version already showed up in the HP App Catalog? Big thanks to whoever did that!

bakeck
New Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:46 am

Postby bakeck » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:48 am

Is there a link to where you found the full screen version? I'm new to the touch pad so I haven't learned where to find everything on the internet for it.

kmartind
New Member
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:43 pm

Postby kmartind » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:49 am

bakeck wrote:Is there a link to where you found the full screen version? I'm new to the touch pad so I haven't learned where to find everything on the internet for it.


It's just in the standard HP App Catalog now, no need for any special downloads or installing Preware or patches, etc. Just tap the Launcher icon (the up arrow in the lower right hand corner of the TouchPad) then pick DOWNLOADS at the top and then HP App Catalog. Tap on Search at the bottom right and then type "gospel library" and then tap the green "FREE" button next to LDS Gospel Library. It will download and then take several minutes to install.

If you've already installed the previous version, then instead of the above, go to the Launcher, pick SETTINGS, and then Software Manager. Let that screen load, and it will check for application updates automatically if you're connected to the Internet. It should show the number of Updates available at the bottom of the screen within a few minutes. Tap on that and one of the listed apps should be LDS Gospel Library. Tap the download icon next to it and it will download and install the update (once again it takes several minutes, at least, to install. During that time it might not look like it's doing anything, but give it a while; perhaps let it sit and then come back to check on it later).

bakeck
New Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:46 am

Postby bakeck » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:20 pm

kmartind wrote:It's just in the standard HP App Catalog now, no need for any special downloads or installing Preware or patches, etc. Just tap the Launcher icon (the up arrow in the lower right hand corner of the TouchPad) then pick DOWNLOADS at the top and then HP App Catalog. Tap on Search at the bottom right and then type "gospel library" and then tap the green "FREE" button next to LDS Gospel Library. It will download and then take several minutes to install.

If you've already installed the previous version, then instead of the above, go to the Launcher, pick SETTINGS, and then Software Manager. Let that screen load, and it will check for application updates automatically if you're connected to the Internet. It should show the number of Updates available at the bottom of the screen within a few minutes. Tap on that and one of the listed apps should be LDS Gospel Library. Tap the download icon next to it and it will download and install the update (once again it takes several minutes, at least, to install. During that time it might not look like it's doing anything, but give it a while; perhaps let it sit and then come back to check on it later).


Excellent! Thank you!

ryan.haver
New Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:16 pm

Thanks!

Postby ryan.haver » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:22 am

Greatly appreciated!! Thanks for all your work.

kmartind
New Member
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:43 pm

Postby kmartind » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:55 pm

afanofosc wrote:I was working on the latest webOS SVN code to try to organize the content more like how the Android version has its content organized and ran into the fact that there are no web services to retrieve content in xml format like what is currently used in the webOS version. At least I could not find any. I wanted to add static content like the existing xml files but that does not seem to be currently possible. Any chance someone on the webOS team could comment on where the existing xml content came from and if it is possible to obtain additional materials to compile into the webOS version of the gospel library mobile application? The webOS platform is not listed in the gospel library catalog web services output for the platforms query. Is it possible to extract xml content from the zbook format that can be retrieved via platform=1?


If the existing content format is no longer available it does seem like some sort of format conversion ought to be able to solve the problem simply if using static content and delivering content via application updates as before. On the other hand, I wonder if it could perhaps even be done on-device, especially now that the latest Maps update from HP seems to deliver the Enyo framework everywhere, even to legacy webOS 1.x devices. That could help enable something more like the above.
With such a huge increase in the number of webOS devices in user's hands over the past couple of months (likely a million or so additional devices) I'd expect a corresponing increase in members and developers interested in these projects, but the majority of them are likely entirely unaware of this site and forum and only see what shows up in the HP App Catalog.

sririe
New Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:11 pm
Location: Battle Ground, WA

Gospel Library - missing books

Postby sririe » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:53 pm

This may already be a known issue. I just started using gospel library on my new touchpad and noticed that some of the books are missing. For example, the last three books are missing from the new testament and several of the last books of the OT are missing. Is this a known issue?

Also are there plans to add the rest of the library like the android version?

thanks for a great app!


Return to “WebOS Gospel Library”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest