Times wrong after ical import

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

jmessinger wrote:The other thing I find, is that looking at our stake or ward calendars in the browser (Firefox 3.0.7), the current date still appears to be based on Mountain time.
I wonder since timezone support is apparently functioning correctly for me in US Central Time, if perphaps this is something that has to be "turned on" or "set" for LUWS on a unit by unit basis somewhere, perhaps at the stake or CHQ level since there is no obvious way to do it at the unit level.

A second thought is that could this be defaulting to Mountain Time outside the US and Canada so that church-wide events such as general conference brodcasts show up on a particular day? For example, if you cross the international date line, might the Saturday & Sunday sessions of General Conference actually be on Sunday & Monday in some timezones? Since I am not in one of those times zones, I have no way to test this theory (without a lot of extra effort).
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

jbh001 wrote:I wonder since timezone support is apparently functioning correctly for me in US Central Time, if perphaps this is something that has to be "turned on" or "set" for LUWS on a unit by unit basis somewhere, perhaps at the stake or CHQ level since there is no obvious way to do it at the unit level.

A second thought is that could this be defaulting to Mountain Time outside the US and Canada so that church-wide events such as general conference brodcasts show up on a particular day? For example, if you cross the international date line, might the Saturday & Sunday sessions of General Conference actually be on Sunday & Monday in some timezones? Since I am not in one of those times zones, I have no way to test this theory (without a lot of extra effort).
As a stake LUWS administrator I know of no settings that would have any effect on the calendar time zones.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
jmessinger

Post by jmessinger »

jbh001 wrote:A second thought is that could this be defaulting to Mountain Time outside the US and Canada so that church-wide events such as general conference brodcasts show up on a particular day? For example, if you cross the international date line, might the Saturday & Sunday sessions of General Conference actually be on Sunday & Monday in some timezones? Since I am not in one of those times zones, I have no way to test this theory (without a lot of extra effort).
This sounds like it could be a reasonable scenario. Living on the other side of the international date line from Utah, the Saturday night priesthood session of conference for example actually occurs on Sunday morning in our time zone (Western Australia - GMT+8). It would look kind of odd to see these calendared for Sunday/Monday instead of Saturday/Sunday.

Ah the joys of working across multiple time zones... :rolleyes:
tortdog

Post by tortdog »

jbh001 wrote:I wonder since timezone support is apparently functioning correctly for me in US Central Time, if perphaps this is something that has to be "turned on" or "set" for LUWS on a unit by unit basis somewhere, perhaps at the stake or CHQ level since there is no obvious way to do it at the unit level.

I am in Central and it exports as Mountain and I have to fix the output file.
tortdog

Post by tortdog »

After deleting the TZ information, the calendar import on lds.org would not function correctly:

>There was an error while trying to parse your ICS file. We currently support ICAL files created by Google Calendar or Outlook. If you are importing from one of these applications please report the issues to customer service.

I ended up importing the modified .ics file to a Google calendar set to my time zone. Then exported the calendar to a new ics which then did import into the LDS application properly.

Return to “Calendar”