Page 1 of 2

Broken Calendar URL with change of Church Domain Name

Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:00 am
by allencp
I submitted feedback through the Church website; however, I felt I might post the same here.

I am trying to sync my Church calendar to my Google Calendar. I go through the process to create a link (as seen in the online documentation). Since setting this up, the calendar is not syncing to Google. In troubleshooting this, I found something interesting.

The link provided is like the following:

Code: Select all

https://www.lds.org/church-calendar/services/lucrs/ical/group/xxxxxx


If you were to put this link into a browser, it is redirected to:

Code: Select all

https://www.churchofjesuschrist/church-calendar/services/lucrs/ical/group/xxxxxx


The problem lies with the redirect: it is missing the .org from the domain name. I have attempted to manually add the .org, but it keeps redirecting to the link above with the missing suffix.

I am hoping someone from CHQ will see this and hopefully help fix it. Thanks.

Re: Broken Calendar URL with change of Church Domain Name

Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:08 am
by scgallafent
I poked the team lead responsible for that application.

Re: Broken Calendar URL with change of Church Domain Name

Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:36 am
by allencp
scgallafent wrote:I poked the team lead responsible for that application.

Thank you.

Re: Broken Calendar URL with change of Church Domain Name

Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:00 pm
by russellhltn
Long-term, I think the better plan is to use the updated URL, except the application is still generating "lds.org" links.

Edit: Ugh, I see the problem. lds.org goes to churchofjesuschrist.org, but that goes to just churchofjesuschrist where it dies. URLs are unusable at this point no matter what you do.

Re: Broken Calendar URL with change of Church Domain Name

Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:00 pm
by allencp
russellhltn wrote:Edit: Ugh, I see the problem. lds.org goes to churchofjesuschrist.org, but that goes to just churchofjesuschrist where it dies. URLs are unusable at this point no matter what you do.

Exactly.

Re: Broken Calendar URL with change of Church Domain Name

Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:53 pm
by bfromm
In my case, the URL is redirecting with .org intact, but the sync still doesn't work. I decided to look for a workaround so I pinged lds.org and churchofjesuschrist.org and discovered they resolve to different IP addresses. I inserted the IP address that resolved for lds.org in place of the domain, and as long as I use http, it appears to be working.

Example

Code: Select all

http://216.49.176.33/church-calendar/services/lucrs/ical/group/xxxxxx


Does this work for any of you?

Re: Broken Calendar URL with change of Church Domain Name

Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:38 pm
by russellhltn
When I try it in my browser, I get "www.churchofjesuschrist.org redirected you too many times. Try clearing your cookies. ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS"

Yes, this is after using http and the IP address.

I tried putting it Google calendar. It accepted it, but I don't see any events. But I might have run into the throttle.

Re: Broken Calendar URL with change of Church Domain Name

Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:43 pm
by bfromm
russellhltn wrote:I tried putting it Google calendar. It accepted it, but I don't see any events. But I might have run into the throttle.


I was able to get this to work on Mac Calendar and my iPhone, but after saving the settings, it took 15-30 minutes before anything showed up. So give it some time and see if things show up.

Re: Broken Calendar URL with change of Church Domain Name

Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:21 am
by russellhltn
Google only syncs about once a day at a time of it's choosing, so I'll have to wait and see what happens.

Re: Broken Calendar URL with change of Church Domain Name

Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:15 pm
by nswansen
This issue looks to be a problem with the SSL cert, hence the calendar is accessible via HTTP and the IP (good pickup bfromm!)
When I inspected the certificate that was coming through (churchofjesuschrist.org) it was still trying to sign *.lds.org
Hope this helps.