Make private calendar a public calendar

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
snlutz

Make private calendar a public calendar

Post by snlutz »

I recognize that this is a bit off topic, but when trying to add a new calendar today for 2020, and make it private, I get the error: Warning: If you continue to change this calendar to private, you will not be able to make it public again. Is that normal? My first year as a stake clerk and I'm not sure how to 'publish' it to the stake once it is ready. Any advice?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Make private calendar a public calendar

Post by jdlessley »

snlutz wrote:I recognize that this is a bit off topic, but ...
[moderator note: Because it was off topic it violates the Code of Conduct that says "Do not start a new topic in an existing thread; instead start a new thread." Therefore I split the post from the other thread.]
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Yes, it's a safety feature. It's to keep things like bishop's appointments from accidentally becoming public. (Apparently it's happened enough times that this was felt to be necessary.)

Generally, calendars are not done by years. If done that way, all the members would have to update their subscriptions to get the new calendar. I'd recommend simply adding events to the existing calendars and not worry about the fact they're visible to the membership.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
snlutz

Post by snlutz »

Is there any way for a calendar that was public, and accidentally made private, to again be made public?
CrockettDR
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by CrockettDR »

No, we don't have a way to turn it back to public. What you can do, is move your future events, an event at a time to a public calendar. So, if you are working on 2020 events, you could first do them on a private calendar and then move them when ready. I believe that works.
snlutz

Post by snlutz »

Do you have an easy way of moving from private to public? Copy and paste each field is time consuming so I was hoping for something easier? Thanks for your help.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

snlutz wrote:Do you have an easy way of moving from private to public? Copy and paste each field is time consuming so I was hoping for something easier?
Edit each event and change the calendar it's on.

You still have to touch each event (or each series of repeating events), but you're not having to copy field by field.

While it's still humbug, I'll bet that if you do it, you can get it done in about half an hour or so.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
snlutz

Post by snlutz »

That does make it much easier - thank you for the idea. It would be nice if there were a keystroke for Save since I have to scrolldown to the bottom of the event editor. Unless you have a great suggestion for that as well?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

snlutz wrote:It would be nice if there were a keystroke for Save since I have to scrolldown to the bottom of the event editor. Unless you have a great suggestion for that as well?
None that I know of, but if your mouse has a scroll wheel, it's pretty easy to zip down there.

On a touch screen, I'd imagine a flick would do as well.

snlutz

Post by snlutz »

And is there something similar that you can suggest for easily copying 2019 entries to 2020?

Return to “Calendar”