The Beta Calendar is Up

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Alan_Brown wrote:As far as I know, the current LUWS calendar will continue to be around as long as the LUWS exists.
Facts are hard to come by :rolleyes:, but I wouldn't agree with that impression. I don't know what would be so hard about migrating parts of "new" into LUWS.

I think having a new and a old in production at the same time is just going to confuse the members.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

Alan_Brown wrote:Where did you hear that? That's not a "fact" from anything I've seen. As far as I know, the current LUWS calendar will continue to be around as long as the LUWS exists. That will be quite a while, given that development hasn't even begun yet on several elements of the current LUWS (lesson schedules, News and Information, etc.).

Just because the new calendar goes live, there's no reason to assume that the old calendar goes away. They are on totally different sites. There's no way the developers would force such an unreasonably tight transition schedule on us.
I can't recall exactly the source, but I believe it might have been from a phone call to support. It's been a while since I heard it, but I do believe it was from a reliable source. However, it would be nice if we had a little more time.

I'll see if I can find the source.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:Facts are hard to come by :rolleyes:, but I wouldn't agree with that impression. I don't know what would be so hard about migrating parts of "new" into LUWS.

I think having a new and a old in production at the same time is just going to confuse the members.
Well, I can certainly see why it would be a huge technical challenge to integrate the new into LUWS -- the whole security model is completely different for the two sites.

But in any case, I wasn't just making up my statement. I participate in a mailing list in which a senior technical writer for the Church participates; he has direct access to the developers of the new Calendar application. And he said that the old website would probably be operational through the end of 2011, and that the LUWS would not be phased out until all its elements have been developed for the new site.

I know that's just hearsay to you at this point, but I'll take that statement over speculation any day.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

So, you've received additional information since post #52? ;)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:So, you've received additional information since post #52? ;)
I did get that additional information since my post #52, but I'm not sure what you're trying to imply with your question. I would say almost exactly what I said in that post today, except that I wouldn't agree with your statement quite so much now. Each stake will have to make a transition, and that transition will require a cutover date. That cutover doesn't have to be the same date for every stake. Some may choose to switch on November 1, others on January 1, some on April 1. Whatever they choose is up to them. I can't speak for all those stakes.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Alan_Brown wrote:Each stake will have to make a transition, and that transition will require a cutover date. That cutover doesn't have to be the same date for every stake.
In other words, there will be two different URLs, the current LUWS and a new one to learn, and each stake will decide how far to carry the LUWS calendar (as long as it is still available to use) and when to begin using the beta/new calendar site (or whatever it winds up being called).
techgy
Community Moderators

I Didn't Think I Had Lost It All - Quite Yet

Post by techgy »

I knew that I'd read somewhere a transition date for moving to the new calendar. I found one such reference HERE. There may have been others more official, but at least it's a start.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

techgy wrote:I knew that I'd read somewhere a transition date for moving to the new calendar. I found one such reference HERE. There may have been others more official, but at least it's a start.
That's simply a reference from a community member that he planned to have his stake transition on January 1. It has nothing to do with any directive from the Church.

I think it's quite clear that stakes will make all sorts of different decisions as to when and how they will make the transition. Some stakes will try to make the transition before the end of this year, others on January 1, and still others well into 2011. Because LUWS isn't going away very soon, they have that flexibility, and that's a good thing.
kd7mha

Post by kd7mha »

I thought I read somewhere that they expected the New calendar to be completed for the 2012 calendar year and shutdown the current calendar at that time and units could use either one until then.

I can't find where I read this, maybe it was a dream...:D
There are 11 types of people. Those who understand Gray Code and those that don't.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

It would appear that there's no official release date yet for the new calendar and directory. Like many, I'd been told by someone, somewhere that it was this year. I'm glad to admit that my assumption is incorrect. It certainly didn't appear that target was going to be met.

Thanks for the correction.

Return to “Calendar”