new calendar -- still lots of issues (I'll mention two)

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
jglanfield

new calendar -- still lots of issues (I'll mention two)

Post by jglanfield »

I don't know where to start. I have to review this entire forum still to see what's been covered already.

Our stake presidency is using the new calendar to coordinate our travel assignments. We've imported our 2011 calendar to the new site, but will not be encouraging others to use it. Too many problems that we've noticed.

One problem I've noticed is syncing with Google. The entire calendar synced just fine, but when I add new events (to the LDS calendar itself), they do not show up on the Google calendar at all.

Another problem is sharing. I've tried to make our stake executive secretary and stake clerk "viewers" of our travel calendar. It never worked for them whether I added them by name or by calling. But when I added our stake clerk as an editor he was then able to view the calendar.

My opinion is that it's just too early to be encouraging people to migrate at this point. Let's be reasonable and give it a year to reduce potential headaches.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jglanfield wrote:I don't know where to start. I have to review this entire forum still to see what's been covered already.
There are a lot of threads with concerns, ideas, tips, problems and successes, so there is definitely some good information here.
jglanfield wrote:Our stake presidency is using the new calendar to coordinate our travel assignments. We've imported our 2011 calendar to the new site, but will not be encouraging others to use it. Too many problems that we've noticed.
Each stake can make their own decision as to when to move to the new calendar, anytime from now to the end of 2011.
jglanfield wrote:One problem I've noticed is syncing with Google. The entire calendar synced just fine, but when I add new events (to the LDS calendar itself), they do not show up on the Google calendar at all.
I don't know how long you've been waiting before you look for the new calendar events to show up. I am syncing with my Google calendar and it takes several hours for the new events to appear -- but they do eventually appear.
jglanfield wrote:Another problem is sharing. I've tried to make our stake executive secretary and stake clerk "viewers" of our travel calendar. It never worked for them whether I added them by name or by calling. But when I added our stake clerk as an editor he was then able to view the calendar.
Are these people that have been added as Viewers aware that they still have to subscribe to the calendar? Making them a Viewer simply makes it possible for them to subscribe, but until they go to Options > Select Subscriptions and subscribe to that calendar, they won't be able to see it.

Adding someone as an editor, on the other hand, automatically subscribes that person to the calendar, so they can view the calendar with no further action on their part.
jglanfield wrote:My opinion is that it's just too early to be encouraging people to migrate at this point. Let's be reasonable and give it a year to reduce potential headaches.
Each stake gets to decide their own definition of "reasonable." Many features of the new calendar provide great benefits to the members and leaders of stakes who are using it. Although the problems are certainly not insignificant, some stakes choose to live with those problems, and others will wait. At this point, the Church is certainly not going to tell those stakes that are already using the new calendar extensively that they should not be doing so.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
allenjblodgett

Using the new calendars

Post by allenjblodgett »

I would assume that the Church is glad that at least some stakes are using, so that they can provide feedback
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

jglanfield wrote: My opinion is that it's just too early to be encouraging people to migrate at this point. Let's be reasonable and give it a year to reduce potential headaches.
Do the pros out-weigh the cons? You (or your stake president) must decide!
tomjohnson1492-p40

Post by tomjohnson1492-p40 »

jglanfield wrote:Another problem is sharing. I've tried to make our stake executive secretary and stake clerk "viewers" of our travel calendar. It never worked for them whether I added them by name or by calling. But when I added our stake clerk as an editor he was then able to view the calendar.

My opinion is that it's just too early to be encouraging people to migrate at this point. Let's be reasonable and give it a year to reduce potential headaches.
Admittedly, the calendar has bugs and functionality limitations, but this is the first time I've heard of the problem you describe -- that people who are added as viewers aren't able to see the calendars. Are you sure they're doing everything correctly?

Re adoption timeframes, it's totally fine to keep using the classic calendar. The release date for the new calendar was suddenly pushed up when new.lds.org went live. So we're still catching up.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

tomjohnson1492 wrote: this is the first time I've heard of the problem you describe -- that people who are added as viewers aren't able to see the calendars. Are you sure they're doing everything correctly?
I've verified this. When a person is added as a viewer to a private calendar, they have the ability to subscribe to the calendar, but they are not automatically subscribed. So they don't see the calendar right away. Once they subscribe, they can see the private calendar.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jglanfield

Post by jglanfield »

Thank you for letting me know about the need to subscribe.

As for syncing, I added two events to our calendar 3 days ago and they do not yet show up on my Google calendar. They show up on the LDS calendar (obviously) and I can see them in LDSTools (on my iPhone).

Thanks!

Return to “Calendar”