Choice of Calendar

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
kmertlich

kmert

Post by kmertlich »

aebrown wrote:
.... So although I think your suggestion of having people gradually move over to the new calendar without prompting is interesting, I don't see how it can work with building scheduling. There has to be an official declaration by the leadership that as of D-Day, the new calendar is the system of record for resource reservations. Otherwise it seems that there is a high probablility that you will end up with two people thinking they have a building reserved at the same time, since they reserved it on two different "official" systems.

At the Stake level, we have moved over to the new calendar but continue to require the old Resource calender to be used to reserve the buildings. Resource reservations are disabled on the new calendar until we determine the best method to Manage Resource Locations & Assignments.

So for now I have unchecked "Allow new events to be scheduled at this location" checkbox. And then included in the Location Name something like: "Stake Center Building Scheduler: Brother Adams 801-555-1234 or submit a request on the Resource Calendar". Still not the best answer but at least it will stop any duplicate reservations.

A training/implementation plan is being put together to bring the clerks and web administrators up to speed with the new features on the new site. Also, will be working with the building schedulers to move forward in using the scheduling features on the new calendar. Having the event calendar and the resource calendar combined is something I have been looking for since 2006. Slow to come but will be a big help. Especially when you have two weddings scheduled on the same day.

I have collected some material to be used for training but not certain how far I should go. I have read that a major calendar release/update is suppose to take place sometime in February.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

In our case, the resource section of the old calendar has never been used. I don't think anyone ever understood it's purpose. The only way to officially schedule a resource has been to contact the person who was officially called as the "building scheduler" (a member of the agent ward for that building). I don't know how many "building schedulers" realize how the new calendar might undermine their calling.
tortdog

Post by tortdog »

My personal view is that the new calendar mostly eliminates the need for a building scheduler. The quorum/aux presidents set up their events and schedule the resource themselves, in mind of conflicts. Resources for regular events are scheduled far in advance. The new calendar takes out all the problems of juggling limited resources.

The only reason I'd see a need for a building schedule is when two groups are trying to get the same resource. But that's rarely been the case for us in the last two months that we've used the new calendar. The events themselves are already correlated, and the parties know what they need far in advance anyway.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mrrad wrote:I don't know how many "building schedulers" realize how the new calendar might undermine their calling.
tortdog wrote:My personal view is that the new calendar mostly eliminates the need for a building scheduler.
The only reason I'd see a need for a building schedule is when two groups are trying to get the same resource. But that's rarely been the case for us in the last two months that we've used the new calendar. The events themselves are already correlated, and the parties know what they need far in advance anyway.

The new calendar does make a huge change in the role of a building scheduler. But there are some very important (new) roles to be on top of. The building scheduler resolves conflicts, as was mentioned. This may involve actually changing the resources assigned to an event. We've certainly had to do that when someone "overschedules" a building, often because they inadvertently leave the "Use entire location for this event" check box checked.

The building scheduler also does the Maintain Assignments feature, where blocks of time are reserved for specific wards for specific resources. This is very important for buildings that are shared among wards.

And the scheduler can also adjust the list of resources assigned to a location. Rarely will the default list of rooms work out of the box for a building, and we are seeing that we need to refine that list of resources as we go along.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

aebrown wrote:The new calendar does make a huge change in the role of a building scheduler. But there are some very important (new) roles to be on top of.
Of course, the building scheduler is still the Scheduler for any activity that needs resources, but isn't appropriate to schedule (show) on any ward or stake general membership or leadership calendar (a private family reunion in the cultural hall, for example.)
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

kisaac wrote:Of course, the building scheduler is still the Scheduler for any activity that needs resources, but isn't appropriate to schedule (show) on any ward or stake general membership or leadership calendar (a private family reunion in the cultural hall, for example.)
Although that can be possible, I certainly wouldn't say "of course." If there is a private family reunion in the cultural hall, it's certainly plausible that a calendar editor in that family's ward would simply schedule the event. There's no reason the building scheduler would need to be involved at all.

The role of building scheduler actually doesn't have editor rights to any calendar -- the scheduler can change location and resource usage for existing events, or even add events, but only events that use the building he/she schedules. That can be a bit confusing, since the scheduler can only see calendars that are subscribed.

A stake could create a "Resource Only" calendar and give the building scheduler rights to edit that calendar (and I think that's a good idea), but it doesn't come automatically with the role of building scheduler. And each ward could have such a calendar as well, which would facilitate reservation of resources for events that are not on a regular event calendar.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

tortdog wrote:My personal view is that the new calendar mostly eliminates the need for a building scheduler.
My wife was recently released from being a building scheduler after many years of service. I can see the new calendar eliminating many of the phone calls we used to get, but there are times when a real person is essential. For example, funeral services usually come unexpectedly and will take precedence over other previously scheduled activities in the building. Many phone calls later, she would finally get everyone involved rescheduled to their satisfaction. I remember it was events like that where she really earned her blessings. :)
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Calendar”