Adding More then One Event on the same day

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
SherryLynn

Adding More then One Event on the same day

Post by SherryLynn »

When trying to add a second event on the same day I keep getting this error, "The event cannot be saved. Please contact the location scheduler to add this event". How do I fix it? I am the administrator over the site. I hope someone can help me.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

SherryLynn wrote:When trying to add a second event on the same day I keep getting this error, "The event cannot be saved. Please contact the location scheduler to add this event". How do I fix it? I am the administrator over the site. I hope someone can help me.
That happens when you have a hard resource conflict for the event you are trying to schedule. The conflict section of Create Event page will show you what the conflicts are. You need to resolve the conflict, either by editing the conflicting event to not use the same resources, or by adjusting the event you are trying to schedule.

One common source of this problem is when either the first or second event scheduler schedules the entire location, rather than just the rooms (resources) within the location (building) that are needed.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

Welcome! Please tell us more about your issue. Because it asks you to contact the location scheduler, it seems to suggest it is a resource or conflict problem. Does this second event require the same resource at the same time as the first event? If you select the second event as "other resource," will it allow it to be saved?
samliddicott

Post by samliddicott »

aebrown wrote:That happens when you have a hard resource conflict for the event you are trying to schedule. The conflict section of Create Event page will show you what the conflicts are. You need to resolve the conflict, either by editing the conflicting event to not use the same resources, or by adjusting the event you are trying to schedule.

One common source of this problem is when either the first or second event scheduler schedules the entire location, rather than just the rooms (resources) within the location (building) that are needed.

For combined activities, both wards may legitimately want to enter "Youth music practise session" against the same resource, but be listed in each ward's calendar.

In other cases non-combined activities may share a resource - maybe there is room for the deacons quorum of more than one wards in the kitchen at the same time but doing different things.

Maybe 1 ward could hold a car-wash in the car-park while the other ward is having a corn-breakfast or something.

So some resources are sharable. Maybe a "share" tickbox which permits to conflict with other users who also tick the "share" tickbox. Those who schedule may be notified of those who share with them - perhaps even showing up in eachothers calendars as well.
preston.baxter

Post by preston.baxter »

I like the idea of a "sharable" resource. We sometimes have combined YM/YW activities for multiple wards, but currently only the first ward to add the event would be able to include the resource. The second ward would have to use a "dummy resource" (I've done this before) or simply not choose a location at all (not preferred ... still want the event to show up when the RESOURCE calendar is invoked).

Return to “Calendar”