Email sent when calendar added or deleted

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
zaneclark

Email sent when calendar added or deleted

Post by zaneclark »

I have just started working with the new calendars and so have been doing some trial and error using test calendars and then deleting them. I just discovered that when I add or delete any calendar, an email goes to the ward members. I am getting responses from some of them asking why they were notified.... Is there anyway to prevent these emails from going out or at least sending them only to those who might need to know?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

zaneclark wrote:I have just started working with the new calendars and so have been doing some trial and error using test calendars and then deleting them. I just discovered that when I add or delete any calendar, an email goes to the ward members. I am getting responses from some of them asking why they were notified.... Is there anyway to prevent these emails from going out or at least sending them only to those who might need to know?
The email doesn't go to all ward members (unless something has changed recently or the system is malfunctioning). Rather the email goes to all calendar approvers (bishopric, clerks, executive secretary, ward website administrators, plus anyone else that has been added as an approver by any of those default approvers).

But there's no way I know of to prevent that email from going to all approvers.

[Note: I moved this post to its own thread so it wouldn't get lost in the long
Calendar Best Practices thread.]
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

aebrown wrote:The email doesn't go to all ward members (unless something has changed recently or the system is malfunctioning). Rather the email goes to all calendar approvers (bishopric, clerks, executive secretary, ward website administrators, plus anyone else that has been added as an approver by any of those default approvers).

[Note: I moved this post to its own thread so it wouldn't get lost in the long
Calendar Best Practices thread.]

There might be a problem then, since the ward mission leader was one who received the email and he is not on the approvers list. I will report this through feedback...
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

zaneclark wrote:I have just started working with the new calendars and so have been doing some trial and error using test calendars and then deleting them. I just discovered that when I add or delete any calendar, an email goes to the ward members. I am getting responses from some of them asking why they were notified.... Is there anyway to prevent these emails from going out or at least sending them only to those who might need to know?

This would indeed create a lot of responses, especially from those who have little idea as to what's going on.
By default a member is automatically subscribed to a new calendar. I wonder, if this feature is also sending an Email to anyone who's subscribed when the calendar is deleted?
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
kd7mha

Post by kd7mha »

aebrown wrote:The email doesn't go to all ward members (unless something has changed recently or the system is malfunctioning). Rather the email goes to all calendar approvers (bishopric, clerks, executive secretary, ward website administrators, plus anyone else that has been added as an approver by any of those default approvers).

on the top of the calendar subscription page are three options
Automatically subscribe to new calendars.
Notify me by e-mail when a new calendar is available.
Allow calendar editors to send me e-mail reminders about events.
if you make the calendars private the emails will only go to those with edit or view rights
There are 11 types of people. Those who understand Gray Code and those that don't.

Return to “Calendar”