Calendar Printing

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
Pghassing

Calendar Printing

Post by Pghassing »

Many of our ward members are having trouble printing the new calendar. While their computers print many things from different sources, printing the calendar is daunting. Can it be made better? Also when I print it always wants to print the previous month along with the requested months. For example if I want to print March and April, it always adds February into the mix.

While I coach them through printing, it is not user friendly. When you select "print" it should print, or at least I think so.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

pghassing wrote:Many of our ward members are having trouble printing the new calendar. While their computers print many things from different sources, printing the calendar is daunting. Can it be made better? Also when I print it always wants to print the previous month along with the requested months. For example if I want to print March and April, it always adds February into the mix.

While I coach them through printing, it is not user friendly. When you select "print" it should print, or at least I think so.
The problem with printing an extra month has been reported; see this post. It's related to improper handling of time zones; I'm guessing you are in the Pacific time zone (or another zone west of that).

Aside from the extra months being printed, I'm not sure what you are suggesting -- you're just saying that it is "daunting" and "not user friendly." Can you give more specifics as to what challenges you see?
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
bardiapaki

Calendar Printing

Post by bardiapaki »

Specifically, is it possible to select what fields to print ie

Event, time, and location eg

Stake Youth Dance
7p Stake Centre

at the moment only the activity title is on the calendar when printing

cheers,
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

bardiapaki wrote:Specifically, is it possible to select what fields to print ie

Event, time, and location eg

Stake Youth Dance
7p Stake Centre

at the moment only the activity title is on the calendar when printing

cheers,
Have you submitted this through the feedback link? There is no link specifically on the calendar page, but you can use the lds.org feedback link or the link found on the Calendar Help.

The calendar Help known limitations is where something like this has been posted for future programming changes. But it appears that even that is in update since there is nothing there as of 7:40 PM MDT. But as I recall there has been discussion about the print feature still being developed. What you ask for was available in the classic calendar and I suspect it would only follow that it would be eventually included in the new calendar.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
Pghassing

Post by Pghassing »

aebrown wrote:The problem with printing an extra month has been reported; see this post. It's related to improper handling of time zones; I'm guessing you are in the Pacific time zone (or another zone west of that).

Aside from the extra months being printed, I'm not sure what you are suggesting -- you're just saying that it is "daunting" and "not user friendly." Can you give more specifics as to what challenges you see?
When they try to print it doesn't print. These are folks that print pdf, word, etc. documents all the time, but when you push print button the calendar doesn't print for them. This is not an isolated case, there are several folks having the same problem.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

pghassing wrote:When they try to print it doesn't print. These are folks that print pdf, word, etc. documents all the time, but when you push print button the calendar doesn't print for them. This is not an isolated case, there are several folks having the same problem.
I'm still having a hard time visualizing where the problem is. Here is what should be happening; please let me know at what step the people have problems:
  1. On the main calendar view there is a Print button near the upper right.
  2. When you click the Print button, a window pops up labeled "Calendar Print Preview"
  3. In that Preview window you should see the current month (or week, if you were in Week View) with some options below it: title, font size, month (if in month view), Advanced options.
  4. In the Preview window below the other options, there should be a Print button, a Download button, and a Cancel link.
  5. Pressing the Print button generates a PDF that is then displayed in the browser's standard PDF viewer; you can print or save from there, just as with any other PDF.
  6. Pressing the Download button generates a PDF and your browser's standard Save dialog should come up to allow you to save or open that PDF.
  7. The Cancel link will close the Preview window.
So where in that process do people have problems that lead you to say "When they try to print it doesn't print"?
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
Pghassing

Post by Pghassing »

Step 5 of your answer. When they push "print" it doesn't print. Of course I run Mac so don't have any problem:>)
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

pghassing wrote:Step 5 of your answer. When they push "print" it doesn't print. Of course I run Mac so don't have any problem:>)
I'm a bit confused by your response. My step 5 says "Pressing the Print button generates a PDF that is then displayed in the browser's standard PDF viewer". It's not intended to actually print, so it's not surprising that it doesn't print. So are you saying that it doesn't generate the PDF?

When the PDF is displayed in a browser window, then the next step is to use the browser's standard capabilities for printing. My Firefox window looks like this:
Calendar-Print.png
(43.7 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
To actually print, I click the button circled in red.

So is the problem that the PDF is not generated, that the user can't print the PDF from the browser, or that the user incorrectly assumed that the Print button mentioned in step 5 would send the calendar to the printer?
Pghassing

Post by Pghassing »

When you push the "print" button it should print, not generate something else. Simply print when you say to print!
Pghassing

Post by Pghassing »

This will be my last post - the process doesn't work correctly. I appreciate your trying to help but the process doesn't work right. We shouldn't have to re educate people on how to print the calendar - as I said in previous post - when you push print - it should print, not generate a pdf that you have to print pushing another button. Also the month issue should be fixed. Even thought I live in Pacific time zone I don't need the extra page. when I ask for April I should get April, not March and April.

Return to “Calendar”