Guidelines for using Google Calendar vs Church-Calendar site

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
nathangg

Guidelines for using Google Calendar vs Church-Calendar site

Post by nathangg »

I have a new calling in a brand new ward and I was trying to steer auxiliaries in the direction of using http://lds.org/church-calendar instead of using Google calendar like they've done in the past.

However, I'm not sure of the best way to try to get everyone on board. I thought some of the following reasons were good, but is there also an official church policy on using a 3rd party site like Google calendar and making the URL public for anyone?

The only thing I can remember is something I read on the old LUWS where it said to not ever post details of activities on the home page because the home page was public. However, I can't find an official policy, just a sentence on the https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Local_Unit_We ... dentiality page:
"All Internet users will be able to visit your stake or ward home page. You can help prevent inappropriate use of the Web site by making sure detailed information about youth activities do not appear on the home page. Do not include meeting times and locations in the title field of submitted events."
I've also read over the Authorized Church Websites letter a few times but I can't tell if it applies to Google Calendar or not.

I may be wrong, but I personally feel that it is okay to use Google for coordination among leaders. I'm using Google calendar right now to coordinate the schedules between the Bishopric (Bishop/1st Counselor/2nd Counselor) and place appointments on their respective calendars. I guess I feel it is okay because these calendars are private and the permissions are set explicitly with only those people that need to see the calendars (Bishop/1st C./2nd C.).

Using a Google Calendar for an auxiliary and making the URL public just feels like it isn't the direction we should go in... but I can't quite figure out exactly why.

Anyhow, here is my list of why I think we should go in the direction of http://lds.org/church-calendar ... am I missing something?

• Consistency within the ward- everyone in the ward would be on the same platform as each other. Families with youth in different groups wouldn't have to remember the different calendars each auxiliary is using, they all just go to lds.org/church-calendar
  • Consistency within the stake - the stake is using the new calendar, so it makes more sense to use the new calendar also instead of using something different
  • Consistency within the Church - other wards are probably using this calendar too and the Church seems to be standardizing on this new calendar system
  • Privacy/Confidentiality issues are taken care of - only those with an LDS account can get to the information
  • Ability to sync to other calendars - for those people that use iCal, Outlook, or even google calendar, they can get their own customized URL so if they want their own schedule in google calendar, they can get it in google calendar
  • Permissions - as new people are called and released, the permissions are automatically taken care of because I set up the calendars based on callings
  • Permissions for ward members - also, as people move in or out, they don't have to worry about getting the right calendar and figuring out a new system... the church calendaring system is the same for every ward and when a family's records arrive, they'll automatically see the correct calendars.
Anyhow, I guess I don't have a specific question... besides is there an official church policy on using Google Calendar to schedule events for an auxiliary and to then make the URL public.

Thanks~!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

nathangg wrote:I've also read over the Authorized Church Websites letter a few times but I can't tell if it applies to Google Calendar or not.
I suspect that Handbook 2, 21.1.22 supersede that.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

nathangg wrote:However, I'm not sure of the best way to try to get everyone on board. I thought some of the following reasons were good, but is there also an official church policy on using a 3rd party site like Google calendar and making the URL public for anyone?

When you review Handbook 2: Administering the Church, 21.1.22, be sure to read the linked references provided. You will find useful information in The LDS Site Development Guide and the Internet Usage Helps for Members as they have information that specifically appies to the situation you are dealing with. Direct your bishopric and auxiliary leaders to these sites for the valuable information they provide.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Calendar”