Planning for Calendar 2.0

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

RussellHltn wrote:How does the redirect work now? I'm thinking the classic site won't go away at the end of 2011, but rather the redirect may become mandatory.

I haven't tested it up to this point. I've just left the classic site enabled. However, unless I read you wrong, if the redirect becomes mandatory, would it really matter whether or not the classic sites disappeared? Either way you couldn't get at them, unless someone had knowledge of a back-door approach.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

techgy wrote:However, unless I read you wrong, if the redirect becomes mandatory, would it really matter whether or not the classic sites disappeared? Either way you couldn't get at them, unless someone had knowledge of a back-door approach.

The way I read the announcement, it only redirects for the calendar and directory functions. (Aanother post says leadership directory as well). So it's not like the classic site is gone, just those 2 or 3 functions move you to the new versions.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

RussellHltn wrote:The way I read the announcement, it only redirects for the calendar and directory functions. (Aanother post says leadership directory as well). So it's not like the classic site is gone, just those 2 or 3 functions move you to the new versions.

Agreed. Given the fact that we're within 4 months of year-s end and haven't been given any recent information regarding the forthcoming changes, I would have to believe that an ever-increasing number of curiosity seekers are wanting to see a status report from those involved in the updates.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
sharonlower

Post by sharonlower »

One Sunday evening on the OLDER Version Ward Website and Stake Website I noticed a GREENISH notice to MOVE our StAKE
directory-calendar-callings-resources to the NEW Stake Website As I did within 5 minutes anything pertaining to the OLD
site was no longer available to anyone It was redirect you and members to the new calendar and directory
MUST BETTER when YOUR NEW Stake and WARD website is up and running to merge everything
The Ward PC's are all MLS and SO is our New Stake Directory membership and callings
Sharon
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RayChristensen wrote:I am interested in being involved. Since it is August 10th, did the release come out. And how can I get more involved.
The release has not come out yet, so you haven't missed anything. We're all just waiting for some sort of announcement that the pre-release is available. You'll definitely find out about it in this thread, and perhaps also through some more direct communication.

At this point, we just all need to be patient and wait for the developers to get the code ready for the pre-release. There is no specific date you can plan on -- just wait for the announcement.
RayChristensen wrote:What is the plan for the Bldg Scheduling upgrade, to make scheduling more visible to members ?
We don't know much about what will be in the next release, except that the Known Limitations page of the help system says: "The new calendar has some limitations that will be fixed or otherwise addressed sometime during 2011." So that gives us hope that the items listed will be addressed in some way. But we don't know the details. I imagine that's one reason why you see so many people responding on this thread (as you have) saying they'd like to work with the Calendar 2.0 pre-release.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Admin note: This thread was pulled from the Preparing for the Calendar 2.0 Release as it's different from the beta thread.

Having seen 2.0, it appears the major changes are:

- Options that used to be on the right side are now on the left.
- Scheduled events now have a setup/cleanup time.

At this point I'm not sure that there's enough of a difference to hold off on training. Certainly I don't see any difference in the calendar "model". Events still seem to on one calendar, rather then a event can be placed on multiple calendars.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
heyring

Post by heyring »

I say lets roll it out! Would there be a way for those willing to flex the muscles of new releases to have their LDS Accounts automatically load the new apps?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

heyring wrote:I say lets roll it out! Would there be a way for those willing to flex the muscles of new releases to have their LDS Accounts automatically load the new apps?

That's not the discussion at hand. V2.0 is in beta test right now. From what I'm seeing, you want to let it get fully vetted before it's rolled out.

The discussion here centers on wards and stakes trying to decide how the roll out of 2.0 affects their plans for training and creating the 2012 calendar. Some of us held back because we thought 2.0 might be a major shift and that it was better to wait.

heyring

Post by heyring »

I did see that the discussion at hand was related "Planning for Calendar 2.0:. I have been in rollouts of multimillion dollar system that spent years trying to come up with the "correct plan" for a "rollout".

My Point is - Take a few of who have used the existing calendar extensively (almost a full year in our Stake) and lay it on us. We'll let you know through regular and effective feedback what works and doesn't. If that could be dished out to specific Stake Leaders based off of their calling, it may speed the process along.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Since you threw your hat in the ring for beta testing 2.0, you should have access to it now in a sandbox environment.

Return to “Calendar”