Minor's information showing in Directory

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
jbudd2

Minor's information showing in Directory

Post by jbudd2 »

Hello, I have a Young Woman that was baptized at the age of 17. Her nonmember mother has requested that the Young Woman's information not be available in the Ward Directory, Family Search and any other Church website. Because the daughter is a minor, I am trying to find out how to accommodate her request.

I have already set the Ward Directory information as being viewable only by leaders, but I was not sure how to assure the mother that the Young Woman would not be viewable on any other Church website.

Where/who might I discuss this issue with?
Thank you,
Jake Budd
eblood66

Re: Minor's information showing in Directory

Post by eblood66 »

jbudd2 wrote:I have already set the Ward Directory information as being viewable only by leaders, but I was not sure how to assure the mother that the Young Woman would not be viewable on any other Church website.
Directory: Since you've changed her privacy settings, the daughter will only be visible to leadership (bishopric, exec. sec. & clerks and same positions in stake).
Maps: The privacy settings should apply here as well. I can't verify that for certain but I'm pretty sure that's the case. You could ask a non-leader member to check to make sure.
Calendar: Member information doesn't show up in the calendar unless the person creates an event which the daughter probably doesn't have rights to do.
Newsletter: Member information doesn't show up automatically in the Newsletter unless they create an article which she probably doesn't have rights to do. Of course, someone could mention her in a newsletter article. You would need to advise newsletter editors about the prohibition to prevent that.
Lesson Schedules: She shouldn't show up unless she is listed as a teacher for a class. And I don't think that's possible when the privacy settings are set to leadership only.
Family Search: Information on living members is only available to their member parents or member children. So nothing needs to be done to preserve privacy there.
Leader and Clerk Resources: Her information will be available in LCR but only to leaders and clerks with responsibility over her.

I can't think of any other websites that might have member information.
jbudd2 wrote:Where/who might I discuss this issue with?
I suppose you could contact Local Unit Support. But my guess is that the combined knowledge of people on the forums here is probably greater than any single person you might contact at LUS.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Good list. One thing missing is social media. Units might have Facebook pages, etc.

People are supposed to seek permission of the person before posting photos, but, being social media, I wouldn't guarantee that everyone attending the event will follow that.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

(I hope she turns 18 soon.)

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”