Harvesting Members Emails for non-church purposes - Privacy Policy?

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
david85224

Harvesting Members Emails for non-church purposes - Privacy Policy?

Post by david85224 »

Is there a Privacy Policy somewhere on the church website that we can remind members about making a email lists?

I keep getting emails from members in the ward/stake about real estate, fund raisers for non-church related groups, etc. I thought surely there apps we have would have some kind of reminder that members should not be harvesting emails for non-church related purposes?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Harvesting Members Emails for non-church purposes - Privacy Policy?

Post by russellhltn »

At the bottom of the printed directory: "© 2019 by Intellectual Reserve, Inc. All rights reserved. For Church Use Only - Information is Condential"

Handbook 2: 21.1.15
... Leaders should not distribute directories outside the stake or ward boundaries or permit their use for commercial or political purposes.

The beginning of each directory should include a statement that it is to be used only for Church purposes and should not be copied without permission of the bishop or stake president.
Personally, I'd make it a point of telling these members that you refuse to donate/do business with anyone that uses church information for non-church business. I'd also consider reporting them to the bishop/stake as appropriate.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
david85224

Post by david85224 »

A lot of people don't print the directory, very rare these days. Do we not have a privacy policy, or reminder, about taking email addresses for purposes outside of church communication? I know in the LCR wiki and blog posts it mentions to only use it for church purposes, the general population of members have no such reminders?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It can be found in the Terms of Use found at the bottom of each page on the website.
Any other use of information or materials found at this site, including any use by organizations or legal entities, is not permitted without our prior written permission.
If you feel that's not enough, I'd suggest submitting feedback using the Feedback link found at the bottom of the main website.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mevans

Post by mevans »

You can also choose to set the visibility of your information to "leadership only." That will keep people from getting your email address unless one of the leaders is the one doing it.

Note that people could be harvesting this from other locations than the online directory. For example, maybe Relief Society or Elders Quorums send emails through other means than LCR and don't do a BCC. Someone could grab all those addresses and think it's fine to use them for non-church purposes. If your leaders are sending out emails without BCC, you might talk to them about using BCC.
david85224

Post by david85224 »

Thanks for the feedback. We may need to send out an email reminding members if it happens again. I'm the Ward Clerk, so I think my email will get out regardless.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”