Names for beta directory

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:So how did the CDOL drop your middle name? I was under the impression you changed it, but on re-reading, it sounds like it did it on it's own..
CDOL has its own preferred name (which you can get to and change via the Edit Assignment link). I did go into that page on CDOL at some point. I don't remember if it originally had my first and middle, and I changed it to just my first name, but it definitely just shows my first name now.

But I really doubt that this particular data source in CDOL is connected to the beta directory -- it obviously does not apply to most people, since they can't login to CDOL, and besides, my issue is that the beta directory does include my middle name, but CDOL currently does not.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

FWIW, I have noticed a similar phenomenon with my own name. The beta directory lists my full name, but I am listed with only my first name as preferred in both MLS and the legacy LUWS site.

I have just assumed that the new site eventually will be synced with MLS, and vice versa, and that all this data will end up integrated. But that assumption may turn out to be overly optimistic.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Alan_Brown wrote:Here's the interesting situation: In one of the wards in my stake, there is a sister who has a different last name in her preferred name than in her full name. This causes the membership list to be sorted oddly. The member will be grouped in a separate group out of sequence. For example, if a person with full name "Jane Baker" had an MLS preferred name of "Jane Smith" then there would be the heading "A" with all the households with names that start with A, but then there would be a heading "S" with only "Jane Baker", then the heading "B" with all the names that start with B, etc.

I have the same thing, except that the last name beginning with T is right in the middle to two B sections. The T section is inserted in between the two B sections at the place where the name would have appeared if it had been alphabetized with the B section.

What is interesting is that in the Membership Record there is no T name anywhere. The preferred name is identical to the full name.

Where is the T name coming from?
nutterb

Post by nutterb »

So I changed a few of the preferred name fields in MLS last night. This morning, all of the changes I made in MLS are reflected on the beta directory.

So it seems to me that the beta directory first names are being pulled from [Preferred_Name] in MLS. Perhaps try changing one or two in MLS and see what happens?

None of the changes in MLS are reflected on the legacy directory, nor would I expect them to be. I distinctly remember going through the legacy directory one day and changing all of the preferred name fields through the admin section. I believe on the legacy directory, users could change their own preferred name, and admins could change any preferred name.

My display name at job.lds.org still shows my first and middle name, even though I changed the [display_name] field in my LDS Account settings to just my first name on Monday.
jeromer7

Bug Reported

Post by jeromer7 »

lajackson wrote:The T section is inserted in between the two B sections at the place where the name would have appeared if it had been alphabetized with the B section.
When I log in to the beta directory, the ward directory list has several instances where a section ends, an out-of-order section appears with just one name, and the original section starts up again, ala the B - T - B scenario you discuss. I reported this via Feedback. The response was that the developer's would look at it.
JLR
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

lajackson wrote:Where is the T name coming from?

Interesting. The T name is coming from the Household field in MLS. After I call up the member record in MLS, clicking on the Household shows a different last name, which happens to be the name showing up in the beta directory of families.

So it appears that the beta is pulling the last name from the MLS Household file and the individual names from the individual file.

How the different household name got into MLS is another mystery. I do not know if it is from a prior relationship or what, or why it did not get changed to the current name.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”