manage home/visiting teaching and callings on lds.org

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: manage home/visiting teaching and callings on lds.org

Post by jdlessley »

wooten wrote:It appears from my observations of LCR and comments on the forum that households for Elders and High Priests are separated so that the HPGL cannot see households assigned to Elders and the EQP cannot see households assigned to High Priests. How do we reassign a household to a different group when the need arises?
As long as the head of household is a member of either the EQ or HPG then a leader can select the household to be moved and click the "Move to" button and then select the new organization from the dropdown list. For example, the HPG has a household with a prospective elder as the HoH. If this household needs to be in the EQ then the HPG must move the household to the EQ.

A problem arrises when the head of household is not a member of the organization and needs to be moved to be assigned home teachers. For example all the single sisters in a unit are assigned to the HPG for home teaching until that responsibility is assigned to the EQ. But when that happens there is no way to see a list of single sisters by the EQ presidency in LCR. If the EQ presidency has a name or list of names of single sisters that need to have home teachers assigned then they can manually enter the name(s) into a HT companionship even though the name(s) do not appear in the drop-down. This of course assumes the single sister is not assigned a home teaching companionship in the HPG. This method of assigning a companionship in the EQ to home teach a single sister is rather cumbersome and prone to errors and even omission.

In our YSA branch all the sisters are home taught by the EQ since there is no HPG. I have told the EQ president to go to the list of Members in LCR and sort by gender to see all the sisters. He has to compare the list of sisters with assigned home teachers with the list of all sisters to see which ones do not have home teachers. He then has to manually type in the name to assign the home teachers. This is quite cumbersome and errors, or omissions, can occur.

For a traditional unit (family ward) I guess a list of single sisters would have to be created out of LCR and the EQ and HPG would have to coordinate regularly this list for home teaching responsibility. A regular review of new move-ins would have to be done. To me this method is also cumbersome and open to errors and omissions.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jamiep39

Post by jamiep39 »

We're having the same issue in our YSA ward. All of the new sisters are being assigned to the High Priests Group, which of course doesn't exist, and we can't seem to figure out how to move them to the Elders Quorum. I've submitted a bug report but until it gets fixed I guess we'll just have to write them in.
bwhittin

Post by bwhittin »

i found that after you make your HT Districts and companionships that when assigning families you can use the pulldown @ "elders" picking High priests. You now have all the sisters to pick from.
A few extra steps but not that bad... don't forget the perspective elders are in HP too.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

bwhittin wrote:don't forget the perspective elders are in HP too.
In the situation where a prospective elder is supposed to be in the EQ then he can be moved from the HPG first before assigning his household to be taught by a companionship in the EQ.

In the situation where the prospective elder is assigned to the HPG but his household is to be home taught by the EQ then your solution to change the dropdown selection from Elders Quorum to High Priests or "All" provides the households for heads of household not assigned to the Elders Quorum. This would include single sisters.

I hadn't seen that dropdown of priesthood organizations before. It does provide a solution to those faced with the situation where the head of household is not assigned to the priesthood organization assigned to home teach the household.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
danpass

Post by danpass »

sammythesm wrote:As a Bishopric member, I can log in and see the home teaching stuff on LCR. If I make a change, it does not save.

My wife is the VT coordinator. She can see Visiting Teaching only, and her May entries into MLS are not in LCR. (They were entered before we got the notification on Sunday that LCR was ready, so not sure why it was not pre-populated into LCR.) She also cannot edit anything on LCR like me. None of her edits stick when checking the check boxes.

Anyone else seeing these issues?
Based on a query from a ward clerk, I take it that VT Coordinators do not have access to edit districts, companionships and assignments. I just wanted to confirm that this is correct. If so, I'll suggest that the clerk or the coordinator submit feedback, if they feel it should be changed.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

danpass wrote: Based on a query from a ward clerk, I take it that VT Coordinators do not have access to edit districts, companionships and assignments. I just wanted to confirm that this is correct. If so, I'll suggest that the clerk or the coordinator submit feedback, if they feel it should be changed.
It looks like they have access (I can proxy as the VT Coordinator in my ward) and I can see the edit buttons. I didn't try to change anything.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

danpass wrote:Based on a query from a ward clerk, I take it that VT Coordinators do not have access to edit districts, companionships and assignments. I just wanted to confirm that this is correct. If so, I'll suggest that the clerk or the coordinator submit feedback, if they feel it should be changed.
Our ward's VT Coordinator is able to do all of the things you mentioned. I can't explain why that VT Coordinator in the post you quoted was unable to perform these functions, but I'm pretty sure that's not the design or implementation. You can see an independent report that VT Coordinators have access to make updates here or here.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Question: Would a VT Coordinator have the power to call a district supervisor? That wouldn't seem right, so I'm guessing they can't - which means they would have some limits on setting up new districts. I could see how being unable to create a new district could result in the complaint they can't edit. (I've played the telephone game before - both as a game as a child and at work at an adult. ;) )
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

russellhltn wrote:Question: Would a VT Coordinator have the power to call a district supervisor? That wouldn't seem right, so I'm guessing they can't - which means they would have some limits on setting up new districts.
I don't follow the logic. Does a Ward Clerk have the power to call anyone to any calling? Of course not, but a ward clerk can enter callings for just about any calling, under the direction of the bishop.

It should be the same with a VT Coordinator. She would act under the direction of the RS President, but should have the technical ability to organize districts, including the creation of new districts. I don't know whether it is indeed the case that a VT Coordinator has that specific permission in LCR, but it makes perfect sense that she would. Any other implementation would restrict the RS President's ability to delegate the clerical part of VT administration, which is a primary reason for the calling of VT Coordinator.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

aebrown wrote:
russellhltn wrote:Question: Would a VT Coordinator have the power to call a district supervisor? That wouldn't seem right, so I'm guessing they can't - which means they would have some limits on setting up new districts.
I don't follow the logic. Does a Ward Clerk have the power to call anyone to any calling? Of course not, but a ward clerk can enter callings for just about any calling, under the direction of the bishop.

It should be the same with a VT Coordinator. She would act under the direction of the RS President, but should have the technical ability to organize districts, including the creation of new districts. I don't know whether it is indeed the case that a VT Coordinator has that specific permission in LCR, but it makes perfect sense that she would. Any other implementation would restrict the RS President's ability to delegate the clerical part of VT administration, which is a primary reason for the calling of VT Coordinator.
The problem is the district supervisor is added in LCR under the organizations and the VT Coordinator doesn't have access there.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”