Page 1 of 2

Handbook 1 will not display in english

Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:39 pm
by Jasonwerner
when i try to open Handbook 1 it will switch to the spanish version. when i select english from the dropdown it defaults back to spanish. the Handbook 2 is english by default and all other manuals and pages are in english. my default language is set up as english . any help?

Re: Handbook 1 will not display in english

Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:49 pm
by russellhltn
lds.org tends to randomly scramble the languages. Just edit the ending url to ?lang=eng

It's showing Handbook 1 in English to me, so this seems like the usual scrambling of languages.

Re: Handbook 1 will not display in english

Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:15 pm
by silus99
I am having the exact same thing. No matter which link I try for Handbook 1 it initially puts web address for the English version, but then as soon as the request hits the site it changes the address to go to the Spanish version. Even when I put eng at the end of the address it acts like there is a forward on the site to the Spanish version. I am glad it is not just me.

It seemed to start yesterday for me and continue today. Tried with IE 11 and Chrome 44 with clean cache and two different internet connections so I assume it is a site issue.

Re: Handbook 1 will not display in english

Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:38 pm
by jdlessley
I just tried Handbook 1 with no problems. It stayed in English. I switched back and forth between Spanish and English without a problem. So I cannot replicate the problem.

Re: Handbook 1 will not display in english

Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:02 pm
by toddmhansen
What is going on? No matter what I try I can't get it to display in English. Did someone hack the site?

handbook 1 spanish only.

Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:31 pm
by jirp
I just tried to view handbook 1 and it keeps coming up spanish. My global language setting was english but that changes to spanish when I try to view handbook 1. Changed it back to english but if I attempt to view handbook 1 it immediately changes my global setting to spanish. I tried changing the language setting for just the hand book and that also immediately changes back to spanish. Handbook 2 works perfectly so only handbook 1 is a problem. Anyone else having a problem with this?

Went grabbed the hard copy off the bishops desk to solve it for now but it would have been a pain if I had been trying to access from home.

[Moderator note: This post has been merged with this thread since the topics are the same and others are experiencing the same issue]

Re: Handbook 1 will not display in english

Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:58 pm
by lajackson
There is apparently a problem. No matter how I try to access Handbook 1, including a URL with "lang=eng", I get the Spanish version and my LDS.org display turns entirely to Spanish. This happens to me with a direct URL to the Handbook. This happens when I am signed in to LDS.org and use the LCR link. I cannot force Handbook 1 to display in English. I have cleared cookies and the cache.

I hope that someone will look at it on Monday when they get back to work. This is the worst I have ever seen it. The "lang=eng" direct link has always worked before, but not this evening.

Re: Handbook 1 will not display in english

Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:46 am
by SpigarelliSJ
Is this problem still occurring? We believe a redirect was cached so clearing the LDS.org caches last night seems to have fixed it.

If it's still occurring, what are your cookies for the lds.org domain? There are a couple called lds-preferred-lang, lds-preferred-lang-v2 and lds-preferred-clang - send all in case there are multiples so we can try to reproduce if the cache clearing didn't help.

Re: Handbook 1 will not display in english

Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:27 pm
by lajackson
I do not have a problem at my work computer right now. I will check at home again this evening. A redirect may very well have caused the problem.

Re: Handbook 1 will not display in english

Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:32 pm
by DavidReese
Here's a tidbit that might help those who are working on it: I am having the same problem of Handbook 1 defaulting to Spanish. This seems to happen when I access HB1 in the usual fashion through the "My account and ward > leader and clerk resources" route. If I click on a link from Handbook 2 that leads to Handbook 1, it displays in English, and then I can navigate around Handbook 1 in English. This is happening both on my Mac Desktop and Mac Laptop, and both with Safari and Firefox browsers. I have tried clearing my caches, my browsing histories, and cookies, to no avail. Thanks for trying to fix it!