Stake Auxiliary Leader Access to Member List

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
SumRunner

Stake Auxiliary Leader Access to Member List

Post by SumRunner »

I'm the stake clerk in my stake. I am asked regularly to generate lists of YM, YW, Primary, or RS for those auxiliaries. The member list is perfect for providing the information, but the stake auxiliary leaders do not seem to have access to these lists (the ward aux leaders do have access at the ward level).

Some reasons they ask me for the list:
- Primary: To get a list of upcoming Primary baptisms, to invite them to stake baptisms
- YM: To ensure all Priests are invited to mission-prep events
- YW: To estimate the number of YW who will attend camp next year
- RS: To create invites to a stake RS event
- YM/YW: To ensure all youth are invited to stake events
- YM: To prepare for Scout re-chartering
And there are many more.

Why don't Stake Auxiliary leaders have access to the member list in LCR?

When will they have access?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Stake Auxiliary Leader Access to Member List

Post by sbradshaw »

From the Leader and Clerk Resources FAQ:
Why don’t stake auxiliary leaders and high councilors have access to LCR?
Stake auxiliary leaders and high councilors are primarily responsible to instruct and support ward auxiliary and Melchizedek Priesthood leaders. They orient newly called ward auxiliary and Melchizedek Priesthood leaders and provide encouragement, support, and instruction. They are not responsible for individual ward members. It is the ward clerk’s responsibility to train ward auxiliary and Melchizedek Priesthood leaders on record-keeping tools and responsibilities. If stake auxiliary leaders and high councilors need a list of members for planning purposes, they should request this information through the ward or stake clerk.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

See the first question in the LCR FAQs.

It seems to me that many of the items you've listed could/should be done by the ward leaders.

You may also wish to read this post.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
SumRunner

Post by SumRunner »

Thank you for the quick reply- I respectfully disagree with the conclusion that these should be done by the ward leaders. Perhaps this varies by the size of the stakes and wards, or by the local culture, but the stake leaders do need to understand the needs of the stake programs.

It is possible for the stake leaders to constantly hound the ward leaders for the lists, but this makes the leaders seem out of touch. We have 8 units, so it is impossible for the stake leaders to get a reliable list in a timely fashion from all 8 units. So when planning for stake events, our stake leaders turn to the only source they have - me - to generate these lists. This is inefficient compared to the access that ward leaders have.

Our stake leaders would be able to better serve the wards as instructed in the handbooks if they had access to the members lists for the stake.
nikk3hi3tala

Post by nikk3hi3tala »

I actually think it is a good thing that stake leaders are forced to work through ward leaders. At least in the case of inviting people to different events. Ward leaders should anyway be well informed about stake events, so that they can advertise them effectively. They also know the people better and know who needs to be specially invited and how. The stake and the ward are part of the same church, and one wish to avoid situations were the ward leaders do not know what the stake leaders are doing. The ward leaders should have the principal responsibility of the welfare of the people.

In the case of sheer numbers (like estimating attendance for YW camp), doesn't the stake clerk see the quarterly reports of the wards? Or at least a sum or something. The number of active YW (or whatever the event and group is) combined with knowledge from the last year's camp, should be enough.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

sumrunner wrote:Why don't Stake Auxiliary leaders have access to the member list in LCR? When will they have access?
sbradshaw has already pointed you to the LCR FAQ. Chapter 15 of Handbook 2 -- especially section 15.4 -- provides additional clarification on this.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”