Updates to Handbook

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
davidrichey

Updates to Handbook

Post by davidrichey »

The recent letter "Preventing Abuse" changes the guideline that 2 adults need to be present when teaching youth and children. There is a hyperlink reference to the section in the Primary section of Handbook 2 that refers to men serving in Primary. The letter reads '2 adults which could be 2 men or 2 men or a married couple', and the Handbook still only speaks to the fact that at least 2 adults need to be present if the teacher is male.

Why is the Handbook not updated to include the new guidance when the letter comes out? Or am I missing something?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Updates to Handbook

Post by lajackson »

davidrichey wrote:Why is the Handbook not updated to include the new guidance when the letter comes out?
Well, just a guess and my personal opinion, but I think it goes something like this.

The letter comes out.
The folks who maintain the Handbook make changes and submit them for approval.
The content department receives the approved changes and updates the online Handbook.

Any letter from the First Presidency supersedes the Handbook. They always have. And aside from the fact that it used to take years before we received a new handbook with all of the changes incorporated, it may take a few days in this modern electronic world.

Also, it is my understanding that shortly before each General Conference, everything electronic is locked down and no changes are made until after the conference. We are in that window now, and it is quite possible that the Handbook changes will process online a day or two after this weekend.

I guess we will just have to use the First Presidency letter in the meantime.
davidrichey

Re: Updates to Handbook

Post by davidrichey »

Makes sense. Thanks

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”