Ministering Companionships

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
lizzardsharp

Ministering Companionships

Post by lizzardsharp »

I am a newly called RS president. Our Ward has ministering assignments set up as a family "assigned" to minister to another family who is generally their neighbor. I can't seem to find in the handbook if this is appropriate. I see the beauty in it but I also read most of what has been put out by the church using the examples of women with women in companionships and men with men. I want to be sure I am following the vision set forth by the first presidency.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Ministering Companionships

Post by russellhltn »

Handbook 2: 9.5.3 says "The Relief Society presidency normally assigns sisters into companionships of two. A married couple may be assigned to minister together, if that would most effectively meet the needs of a sister and her family."

The same is true for the Elder's quorum. So, there is some wiggle room for what you describe.

However, I think the key word here is "normally". However, I'll also refer you to the introduction (0.3) which says "Leaders who have questions about information in the handbooks or about issues that are not addressed should direct the questions to their immediate presiding authority." Forum title not withstanding, my observation has no value above that of any other member reading the same Handbook.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Sonnatui

Post by Sonnatui »

we are a new ward and i am the relief society president. where can i find instructions on how to enter new ministering assignments?
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

Sonnatui wrote:we are a new ward and i am the relief society president. where can i find instructions on how to enter new ministering assignments?
Your ward clerk should be able to assist.

To enter the assignments, log in to Leader and Clerk Resources
Click on Ministering (at the top of the page) | Relief Society | Proposed Assignments
Make whatever changes or additions you want, then let the bishop know they are ready for his review.
After he approves, you can click the "Review and Publish Assignments" button to make them official - at that point they will be visible to ward members.

It is recommended that assignments should be issued to the ministering elders and ministering sisters in person rather than telling them to go look it up.
misstories

Post by misstories »

We have proposed several changes in Ministering assignments but for now we only want one to be transferred over to the Current Assignments. Can a single change be published or do we have to wait for all of the proposed changes to be approved?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

misstories wrote:We have proposed several changes in Ministering assignments but for now we only want one to be transferred over to the Current Assignments. Can a single change be published or do we have to wait for all of the proposed changes to be approved?
The Proposed Assignments tools was designed to make mass changes or complex changes to assignments at once. If you want to edit just one companionship assignment or add one companionship assignment then the change can be sent to the bishop for approval outside the system (such as by email) and then the change or add made to the Current Assignments.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
pat.leverich

Post by pat.leverich »

I am a new RS Secretary. We have made several changes to our ministering sisters in the Proposed Assignment area and need to make more. When I go under actions for a particular companionship I get Edit and/or Delete. When I select Edit all I get is boxes with X's. I can't see how to add to a companionship.
SuHwak

Post by SuHwak »

pat.leverich wrote:I am a new RS Secretary. We have made several changes to our ministering sisters in the Proposed Assignment area and need to make more. When I go under actions for a particular companionship I get Edit and/or Delete. When I select Edit all I get is boxes with X's. I can't see how to add to a companionship.
I think they are having a problem on this functionality at this moment, because I was trying to do something similar (OQ side), but an 'add' buttons seems nowhere to be found.

The 'Ministering' section also loads with an error: "Sorry, something went wrong loading the requested data. Try refreshing the page, or try again later."

Tried Edge (Chromium v 81.0.416.20) and Firefox (v 72.0.2), both same error.
leinani32m

Post by leinani32m »

pat.leverich wrote:I am a new RS Secretary. We have made several changes to our ministering sisters in the Proposed Assignment area and need to make more. When I go under actions for a particular companionship I get Edit and/or Delete. When I select Edit all I get is boxes with X's. I can't see how to add to a companionship.
I've been having the same issues! Tried to make changes this morning, and still can't 12 hours later. Frustrating! Hopefully it'll be fixed soon.
genewilliams

Post by genewilliams »

I have been called as Elder's Quorum President and I am looking for the instructions on how to use the Ministering Brothers - Proposed Assignments tool online. I will be making several changes in the ministering assignments and I am looking for a simple tool to use to do this. Can someone help me with this?

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”