LCR Membership Record Place names guidance

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
greenwoodkl

LCR Membership Record Place names guidance

Post by greenwoodkl »

Is there any guidance on entering place names into membership records? Particularly, should locations be in English or the local/native language? Are Unicode/accent characters accepted? I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere in the forum, but I couldn't find an answer.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: LCR Membership Record Place names guidance

Post by scgallafent »

In your location, you are only able to enter locations in English. If you are updating the membership record for a member who was born in a foreign country, you will need to enter the English name of the birthplace.

In non-English areas, the birthplace can be entered in the native script.
greenwoodkl

Post by greenwoodkl »

Thanks for the response. In general, it seems like for non-US places, I should seek to provide <location>, <2nd level division>, <1st level division> as guided by a resource such as Wikipedia's List of administrative divisions by country? I'm still curious if Unicode/accent characters are accepted in the free-form Birthplace or Marriage Place fields, so long as I'm not switching away from Latin/Roman script (e.g. Cyrillic, Arabic, etc)? I understand the Birth Country, Mission Country, and Marriage Country are drop-downs and locked into a defined set of values. Are the LCR free-form place names getting linked/validated against a place database, such as the FamilySearch Place Database and then localized?

Possible examples for place names:

English:
Mexico City, Federal District
Mexico City, D.F.

Spanish:
Ciudad de México, Distrito Federal
México, Distrito Federal
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'd stick to the "straight ASCII" character set. While I'm sure the systems have been modernized, the old systems were that way.

It seems to me that the "risk/reward" sides on "keeping it simple". While using the accents may be more accurate, the simple version is completely understandable and the most likely to work when automatically translated.

Just for comparison, I input "Mexico City, Federal District, Mexico City, D.F." into FamilySearch, and it simplified it to "Mexico City, Mexico". That's cheating because on the backend, FS "knows" the location and will display it in whatever language needed. I don't know as the membership system is doing anything similar, but I'd take that as a clue.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

greenwoodkl wrote:In general, it seems like for non-US places, I should seek to provide <location>, <2nd level division>, <1st level division> as guided by a resource such as Wikipedia's List of administrative divisions by country?
That would be nice. We're at the mercy of the clerk and how he chooses to enter the data, but it's nice to have clerks that try to be thorough with what they put in. We were looking at some example records last week with another team and saw one where the birth place had been entered as "AF". <sigh/>
greenwoodkl wrote:Are the LCR free-form place names getting linked/validated against a place database, such as the FamilySearch Place Database and then localized?
No.
greenwoodkl

Post by greenwoodkl »

We're at the mercy of the clerk and how he chooses to enter the data, but it's nice to have clerks that try to be thorough with what they put in.
As a newly-set-apart assistant membership clerk I'm trying to clean up some poorly-entered place names, none quite as abbreviated as AF. The issue I'm seeing more often is repetition of country name in the place plus the country dropdown. I do wish there were some more custom report options in LCR to highlight such data quality artifacts but will use MLS for now.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

greenwoodkl wrote:As a newly-set-apart assistant membership clerk I'm trying to clean up some poorly-entered place names, none quite as abbreviated as AF. The issue I'm seeing more often is repetition of country name in the place plus the country dropdown. I do wish there were some more custom report options in LCR to highlight such data quality artifacts but will use MLS for now.
You could have your ward clerk create a custom report that shows name, birth place, and birth country. That would give you a pretty easy way to see all of the birthplace info and clean them up.

You can't create the report yourself -- that is limited to bishops and ward clerks.
greenwoodkl

Post by greenwoodkl »

I had noticed on the Access Table that they could create the reports, but I couldn't see any listed in the menus. I wasn't sure if that meant none have been created or only those with access to create could utilize?
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

Report access is limited to that group.
greenwoodkl

Post by greenwoodkl »

So they would create a custom report and only they could access it. Are there export options where they could share the results with me? Otherwise, it seems like a fruitless endeavor to push for a report I can't utilize. It seems that LCR has moved away from many export options that MLS had. I think it would be beneficial for other LCR users to be able to create custom reports within the scope of their access.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”