LDS Tools No Longer Works

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Member Tools Application.
lc79112

LDS Tools No Longer Works

Post by lc79112 »

LDS Tool no longer works on my older IPhone. Requires newer version than is available for my device. Very sad, not everyone can afford the latest $1000 phone.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: LDS Tools No Longer Works

Post by lajackson »

lc79112 wrote:LDS Tool no longer works on my older IPhone. Requires newer version than is available for my device. Very sad, not everyone can afford the latest $1000 phone.
I do not know the availability or cost of iPhones, but when most of my apps stopped working on my Galaxy S4 (Android), I was looking at nearly $1,000 to continue using the newer Galaxy line of phones. At that point, I needed the other apps. Interestingly, Member Tools (formerly LDS Tools) was still working at the time.

I complained to some of my tech-savvy children who said I should consider a new phone for under $300 like the ones they were using. I pressed them for details and wound up with a new Motorola Moto g6. It has been an excellent selection for me, and there were other options to consider, as well.

One of the realities of being in a connected world is that as operating systems are upgraded, other software either upgrades or becomes obsolete. Older versions of Member Tools were maintained and security features were added until they would no longer work on older systems. Those changes were required because of changes to the Apple and Android operating systems. The Church has no control over those systems. Neither do the developers of other apps.

I am not saying you should go out and buy the type of phone I now have. My children were just telling me to shop around. I realize that, in your case, you may be looking at an even bigger change if there are no iPhone options that are less expensive. Those are decisions you will have to make. And, of course, it is hard to live without Member Tools once you get used to having it.

But it is possible. And these changes, and the decisions that come with them, are a reality of the world in which we now live.
aj.smith

Post by aj.smith »

Check swappa.com , You can get used iPhones that are not the newest but not the oldest for less than $400. I never buy new because 2 years later the phone is half the price and still good for 3 years at lease. If you get a used one for $450 every 3 years you only have to put 50 cents aside every day for the three years. Worth 50 cents a day to me to have a phone that works with all the apps I want/need.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

This advice will not help anyone who will not consider anything other than flagship phones, but I recently purchased a brand-new phone running Android 9 (current version) with good (but not top-of-the-line) hardware and 64 Gb of storage on sale for $120.00 US. It works very well and I am very happy with it. My point is: if you are willing to shop around and are not hung up on a specific manufacturer or OS, you can find decent hardware at reasonable prices.
Willados

Post by Willados »

The new Member Tools app works with iOS 11 and later. iOS 11 works with the iPhone 5s and later, and the 5s came out in 2013. That's six years ago, and in terms of mobile tech, ancient history. I think the Church does a great job supporting a variety of services and devices for long periods of time.

If your using a device that can't upgrade to iOS 11, you really should consider an upgrade, even if you get a used device. Having such an old device I would be concerned about the lack of security updates, and the cost of identity theft would be much more expensive than upgrading.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Willados wrote:Having such an old device I would be concerned about the lack of security updates, and the cost of identity theft would be much more expensive than upgrading.
A hacked phone could allow a hacker to take over an email account. With control of the email, the hacker may locate bank accounts and be able to reset the password to them. If financial apps are installed, then those accounts may be at risk.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jamieinskeep

Post by jamieinskeep »

I have and iPhone c so maybe that's why it doesn't work
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jamieinskeep wrote:I have and iPhone c so maybe that's why it doesn't work
You have to be iOS 11 or higher.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eggle

Re: LDS Tools not working after latest update

Post by eggle »

Still not working on iPhone

When I click sign in - it does nothing. Only happened after I re-synced

Return to “iPhone/iPad Member Tools App”