Newsletter, LDS tools, and Sacrament Programs

Discussions about the Newsletter Tool at LDS.org.
ag_boy

Re: Newsletter, LDS tools, and Sacrament Programs

Post by ag_boy »

I like the word "rarely." It reminds me that there is still hope :)
ag_boy

Post by ag_boy »

In your opinions, what is the best area on this site to discuss using existing tools in this manner? What forum for data exchange methods for new people who receive this calling is best? There will be others looking for technical guidance that does not exist. How can this discussion help?
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Probably not helpful in my ward, where the bishopric has not felt it necessary to activate the ward newsletter. "Nobody would use it." In other words, if you can't get to the newsletter through LDS Tools, nobody will use it.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
ag_boy

Post by ag_boy »

There is the argument I'm focusing on. Let's give them the "reason to use it".

absolutely need it in LDStools, as you mentioned.

The left hand does not know what the right hand is doing.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

agrapha wrote:I like the word "rarely." It reminds me that there is still hope :)
I was going to say "never" but decided to give myself wiggle room. I think our options have been asked for in term of the GUI, but I can't recall any functional specs coming from the community.

There's one thread open now for soliciting opinion on an on-line historical submission - but I'd wait until we see the final result before we know the outcome of that.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

drepouille wrote:Probably not helpful in my ward, where the bishopric has not felt it necessary to activate the ward newsletter. "Nobody would use it." In other words, if you can't get to the newsletter through LDS Tools, nobody will use it.
I think it's useful for things like forms and such. But for regular bulletin functions, I tend to agree. It's hard to get anyone to log in just to see content. Content has to come to you.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ag_boy

Post by ag_boy »

So then it seems the best forum is this one for right now.

In the next week I want to share my first annotated google template here. I will also make it available as a Word doc. That way there will at least be something a new calling could reference.

It does not look like we can upload on this forum - wise move :) I'll make it open to acquire to anyone with the link. See where it goes from there.

As an aside, I was able to add a hyperlink to the calendar to the sacrament program, but it only worked once. It seems they have a formatter that scrubs those out. Allowing that one option makes the calendar app useful!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

agrapha wrote:It does not look like we can upload on this forum
It should be there. Make sure you're not using "Quick Reply".

sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

agrapha wrote:What exists now that can query the calendar?
Besides LDS Tools, Leader and Clerk Resources queries the calendar for the "Schedule" box on the left side of the page. So that part of gathering information together is already feasible.
screenshot_41.jpg
(87.93 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

One show-stopping limitation for me in using Google Docs for a sacrament meeting program is the lack of leader dots for right-tabbed items. They are difficult to do in HTML also. There are workarounds for getting leader dots and right tabs in HTML, but all of them make it nigh impossible to get a clean copy/paste into another program.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “Newsletter”