General Mailing List?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
chrissv

General Mailing List?

Post by chrissv »

Hi All,
Sorry if this has been asked before - a search didn't reveal anything to me.

Our YM presidency communicates to the YM and their parents (effectively) through e-mail. But it is up to each sender to keep track if they have all of the youth and parents for each of the e-mails.

Is there a (free) general use mailing list feature that anyone is aware of out in the internet, that lets and owner define a list of e-mail addresses to be associated with one e-mail, like "XYZWardYoungMen@somehost.com" ? I know the lds.org website has general categories of recipients, but we are looking for something more general. It would be something like the "listserv" features of old.

Thanks - Steven
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

If I understand you right, there's a couple, like Yahoo Groups and Google Groups.

But first I'd suggest seeking permission from the priesthood leaders who have the Handbook and the keys to interpreting them. The current policy doesn't mention email groups. So if we go by what isn't prohibited is allowed, it's OK. But the prior policy did specifically prohibit email groups by wards and their organizations.

I think my biggest concern would be to know who all is on the list. If it's set up that anyone can subscribe, then you can't be sure if a predator added him/herself. The old calendar system had a test that advised not to have youth activities showing on the front page (where no login is needed to view). The current calendar doesn't have that caution, but then it doesn't have a "front page" either.

Also keep in mind that such lists are usually advertiser supported. I don't think you have control of the ads.

Personally, I think I'd feel more comfortable with centralizing the management if your existing list. Perhaps keeping it in a storage area that's only accessible to the YM leadership.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

I'd add some suggestions as well. While LDS.org is maturing and is more able all the time, it's email options are still simplistic. While nowhere near perfect, you may find a combination of the new newletter tool, the calendar and the directory provide
  • Privacy features built-in, and complies with local laws
  • members and multiple ward leaders can update a members information online from any computer or at the clerk's office, almost like a workgroup
  • LDS.org maintains the data safely, and complies with ALL LDS polices for personal data storage and use, which your private listing may not...
  • Moving members are automatically added and deleted as records are transferred
So, now the question becomes how to get the list of those you want? If you choose to use the newsletter tool, those that are interested in your "subject" can be told what heading to look under, such as Young Men.

The calendar can also be used for some of this if you make sure those that need the information know to subscribe and begin expecting it to work more as an information "storage and retrival system," and less as an electronic version of a wall calendar that just lists a time and date.
nutterb

Post by nutterb »

My scout troop (not Church affiliated) uses a Google group. We have the privacy settings set so that the group does not appear in searches and is not listed in any directories. To add people to the list, a manager has to put in the address and the user has to confirm their desire to be on the list. We also have it set so that all messages except from two or three people go into a moderation queue that a manager has to approve before it's sent to the group. Most of the time, e-mails just need to go to the managers and never get distributed.

Personally, based on the opt-in nature of the process, I wouldn't object to it being used with a youth program. But I would strongly recommend telling the parents about the plan before you start and before you add them. My experience has been that when we explain the purpose of the group (to help the leaders reach people without having to track e-mail addresses), parents are anxious to opt in.
nyeung

MailChimp

Post by nyeung »

Hi,

I was thinking of using MailChimp for a weekly sunday school newsletter and was wondering if anyone else has used this service before and if it is appropriate with current policies.

Thanks.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

nyeung wrote:I was thinking of using MailChimp for a weekly sunday school newsletter and was wondering if anyone else has used this service before and if it is appropriate with current policies.
Never heard of it before. As for appropriateness, I see two things. First, how are the emails to be supplied? If members give their email to be placed on this list, that's fine. But if someone is going to simply take all the emails in lds.org or MLS and upload them, I would question the disclosure of the emails to a third party.

You might also want to read the MailChimp's Terms of Service, 11b, c and e. This part seems most appropriate:
Before importing any list into MailChimp from your CRM or any other database you maintain, understand our permission-lists-only rules. Remove any prospects or leads who did not explicitly request email marketing from you or otherwise meet the requirements of 11(b) above. Even if you're sending email marketing to customers who have consented to receive your Email, you are still required, under applicable law, to allow them to opt-out of your email marketing list (you may need to turn that feature ON in your CRM tool). The simple fact that a recipient is "in my CRM" is not the same as "they gave us permission to send them email marketing."
Lastly, if it's there, I missed it. But I didn't see any language that indicated that they wouldn't sell any information to someone else. If they do sell the information, that could put the church in a questionable legal situation.

But that's just my personal take on the situation.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

nyeung wrote:Hi,

I was thinking of using MailChimp for a weekly sunday school newsletter....
Welcome to the forum! Have you looked at the new newsletter tool, still in beta, which would abide by all church policies?
The beta version of the Newsletter application is available here:
https://beta.lds.org/member-news

Most questions can be answered on the Newsletter help page, found here:
https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Newsletter
nyeung

Post by nyeung »

kisaac wrote:Welcome to the forum! Have you looked at the new newsletter tool, still in beta, which would abide by all church policies?

I went to the link you provided but it does not allow me to use the tool:
No Articles Published Yet

Your ward or stake has not published any articles yet. Let your website administrator, clerk, executive secretary, bishopric, or stake presidency know that Newsletter is available for use. Once articles have been published, they will appear here. For more information, click Help.
genman

Post by genman »

nyeung wrote:I went to the link you provided but it does not allow me to use the tool:
You will need to contact a member of your bishopric or ward executive secretary or clerk to have them setup the initial administration of the ward newsletter. They can give "publisher" rights to specific member of the ward, or specific callings, to be able to add articles. There is also a Stake newsletter component too. So, similarly, if you want to be able to publish or view articles for the stake newsletter, would need to contact a member of the stake presidency, stake exec sec, or stake clerk for them to setup the initial administration settings. Chances are they are not familiar with it, so send them the links:

https://beta.lds.org/member-news
https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Newsletter

If you are an exec sec, clerk, or bishopric member, then click on the Admin link to configure it.

Return to “General Discussions”