Want to buy a Smart phone

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
Etechnology

Want to buy a Smart phone

Post by Etechnology »

I need an advice from you guys.I am planning to buy a smart phone around 25k.I honestly dont know which one to buy.This will be my very first smart phone.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Moderator note

Post by jdlessley »

Personal use of technology is better dealt with in the myriad of other forums found on the Internet.

The primary focus of these forums is general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share as well as clerk issues and topics. The only forum that goes beyond that is Family Safety with Technology.

Please keep the topics focused within the bounds of each forum's description.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
Etechnology

Re: Want to buy a Smart phone

Post by Etechnology »

Hello.
Thanks for your suggestion.Thought this forum would suggest me a phone.And I would like to say sorry for my inconvenience to this forum.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

jdlessley wrote:The primary focus of these forums is general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share as well as clerk issues and topics.
...which is why I don't mind someone asking the question about what smart phone to get. I can generally answer that the church offers several apps to help members and those with leadership callings. Personally, I got into Apple's iTunes-based universe almost 12 years ago (when iTunes was a Mac-only MP3 manager, before iPods and iPhones). So I felt like switching to an Android environment offered me more headaches than advantages.

As for the apps, the church-offered apps are generally available for both Android and iOS, although some have reported that LDS Tools, for example, currently offers a little more functionality in the iOS version. I can speculate that the Android version will catch up sooner rather than later. So, certainly, check other resources online, think about the cost of a data plan and the cost of the phone itself, ask your friends and ask other members of the church about their experiences with mobile devices. But I think from the perspective of using services from the church, you're likely safe with either an Android smart phone or an iPhone.

If you're new to the world of smart phones and apps and you're interested in church-related content, it's probably worth noting that the church's apps are free. Other, third-party offerings are often not free. Why would anyone want to pay $15 for a scripture app when the free Gospel Library app is so good?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

mrrad wrote:
jdlessley wrote:The primary focus of these forums is general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share as well as clerk issues and topics.
...which is why I don't mind someone asking the question about what smart phone to get.
This is fine as long as the topic remains focused within the bounds of using church technology or technology in the church. My comment was, and still is, intended to deflect the potential for discussions to wander into general discussions of which phone is the best. The OP did not specify particular use and was therefore a spark or lead-in for generalized debate similar to the Windows/OSX/Linux/et al debates.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
KeithWilson

Post by KeithWilson »

Let's expand this to include tablets, and large smart phones, sometimes referred to as Phablets. I am also moving to a new platform of smartphone, because the blackberry world is dead, at least for church related apps. The Gospel Library doesn't update content anymore, and the LDS Tools is no longer being updated. A real bummer, when you consider it's a better phone and platform.

My main question is, for someone like me considering moving to a new platform, and have no loyalty to Apple or Android, which is best, when it comes to using church tools and apps? This includes web based tools and reports. I don't want to get a full size tablet, and carry a phone as well, I just want a smart phone that does it all, and is FULLY supported by the Church's development team, and not like blackberry, it seems to be ignored, or forgotten.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

KeithWilson wrote:My main question is, for someone like me considering moving to a new platform, and have no loyalty to Apple or Android, which is best, when it comes to using church tools and apps? This includes web based tools and reports. I don't want to get a full size tablet, and carry a phone as well, I just want a smart phone that does it all, and is FULLY supported by the Church's development team, and not like blackberry, it seems to be ignored, or forgotten.
I think iOS (Apple) has a edge on some of the features in LDS Tools, but Android isn't far behind - As long as you get "regular" Android and not something repackaged like the Kindle or Nook with this own app store. Likewise, I'd steer clear of "Facebook Home".

Either Apple or Android is better then the current church development situation with other mobile OS (Blackberry, Windows, PalmOS, etc.)

But I'd suggest you play with the different phones in the store and see how you like them.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “General Discussions”