Civil Marriage

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
msanderson

Civil Marriage

Post by msanderson »

Can a minister from another faith preform a marriage in an LDS building?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Civil Marriage

Post by russellhltn »

You got me on that one. I'm not finding anything prohibiting it, but it sure seems like something about allowing other faiths to use the building would be addressed somewhere.

Closest I can come is Handbook 2: 21.3.7, "Other Faiths".

A few things I did find: The handbook says the wedding is to be simple. A wedding march is not appropriate. No video or pictures if done in the chapel. (Handbook 1: 3.5.3).

(Prohibited): "Hosting speakers or instructors who are paid a fee" (Handbook 2: 21.2, Item #5)

Some of these restrictions could settle the issue.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

And I would highly advise clearing it with your Stake President.
silus99

Post by silus99 »

Funerals held in the church are considered a church meeting and require the Bishop or his counselor to conduct. If the family has the meeting outside the church then they can choose who conducts and presides. I would assume the same policy would apply for a wedding. I agree though, since it is not explicit you should ask the Stake President.
ccordoba24

Post by ccordoba24 »

yeah, stake president can or could approve it as a part of his get along with neighbours policy...

They haven´t had weddings here in my building -although its illegal anyway in this country- but they have had an elementary school holding class here for nearly a year when their buildings burnt down (vandals) and they regularly have the red cross and others come in for blood collection days, typically Saturdays. So I don´t see why they couldn`t accept a wedding as a one off things as long as it helps the Mormons-Others relationships... but each stake president would have decide on that one I supoose.
Michaeljefferyjones

Post by Michaeljefferyjones »

I am an authorised officer for weddings who has to be on site (UK) as well as the Bishop.I fill in the registers and all other documentation. No Minister from anotherfaith can undertake weddings or Funerals in a meetinghouse. As to the wedding march,this does not mean the bride walking down the isle to "Hear come the bride" or some other music. It would appear that some brides actually marched down the isle

Return to “General Discussions”