Any possibility of recovering SD card?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
Mr.Keele

Any possibility of recovering SD card?

Post by Mr.Keele »

Just a week ago I completed a full time mission. In my mission we transferred to digital about 3/4's of the way through, and so for that last 4th or so I began relying on my Samsung J3 for photos and document keeping. I knew that I would need to back this up when I came home, but I didn't realize in what way. I took everything from the phone and saved it to an SD card for keeping, because the program missionaries use would wipe the phone after a few days of being home. What I didn't realize was that it would also try wiping the SD card too. I foolishly left it in, and now I have lost a good portion of my mission on there. If anyone has any idea on how to recover the SD card, or who has experience with Maas360 or anything, let me know. If there's a better place that I can post this, also let me know. I'd really like to recover what I can, I feel silly about the whole thing, but if nothing can be done, I get that. Thanks for any help! Keep on the covenant path!
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Any possibility of recovering SD card?

Post by sbradshaw »

Good luck!
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
ksgentry

Post by ksgentry »

I can't provide how-to, support, or warranty (and neither can anyone here) for this program, but I'd recommend to give this a try: https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

I had success with a different (but similar) program from this same developer before. Can't hurt to try
drcook345

Post by drcook345 »

Having the same issue with recent RM android phone. The software removed itself in the middle of the night and did a factory reset on the phone. The RM lost all his photos, etc. Wondering what, if any, warning the RM's are getting that their phones will be reset? They're losing their mission memories here.

Tried several recovery products photorec, dr.fone, recoverit. dr.fone couldn't root the Android device (Samsung J4) after several tries. I pulled the SD card and put it in a Win10 PC, and ran photorec over that, and it couldn't find any photos.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

drcook345 wrote:Having the same issue with recent RM android phone. The software removed itself in the middle of the night and did a factory reset on the phone. The RM lost all his photos, etc. Wondering what, if any, warning the RM's are getting that their phones will be reset? They're losing their mission memories here.
The instructions that are given to returning missionaries include specific warnings about this.

They are instructed to back up personal items to another location with the following in bold: "It is your responsibility to ensure that personal items are saved. If they are not saved before your departure, they likely will be lost."

The iPad instructions say "Protections and monitoring will be removed from your iPad, and it will be automatically reset within 10 days of your release when connected to the internet. This means that the iPad will be erased and all data will be removed and lost." (Emphasis original)

That last warning isn't in the Android instructions, but the instructions to move personal items to another location and associated warning are there.

Realistically, it would be best if they're backing up pictures as they go along. If the only copy of the pictures is on the device, they are at risk if the device is damaged or stolen.

Return to “General Discussions”