sisters in buildings

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
rlkimpton

sisters in buildings

Post by rlkimpton »

I have heard it before that sisters should not be in a building alone. In our stake we have a policy that they can be (Ie RS presidency meeting, practicing the piano whatever) just make sure the doors are locked. Or , someone bring your husband or boyfriend etc. I have always told the sisters "It is not because we don't trust you, its just safer". Perhaps i have been wrong. Then we have some that are absolute in their thinking that if sisters are in the building there must be two priesthood holders present.

So, where do we find 'scripture and verse" so to speak. I want to make sure we are doing what's right and not someones old time ideas. I've looked int eh Church facilities handbook to no avail and forget about trying to find something in handbook 2. could have swore I saw it there but can't find it now. Course, maybe it's because it's late and not enough cold caffeine.

thanks in advance for any direction,
R
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: sisters in buildings

Post by russellhltn »

rlkimpton wrote:I have heard it before that sisters should not be in a building alone.
I think at one time there was a requirement to have Priesthood, but I'm not finding it now.

I'd check Handbook 1: 8.3.5

Also, Handbook 2: 13.6.2
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
BrianEdwards

Re: sisters in buildings

Post by BrianEdwards »

On Aug 23rd the Church sent a letter to Bishops regarding recent changes to the Handbooks, including the referenced HB1 8.3.5. I don't know what it used to say (which is another story altogether, as I never know if something is new or was always there, and I just missed it and was doing it wrong before...). Anyways, here's the current language in its entirety, which speaks directly to the requirement:
Leaders instruct members—especially women and youth—not to be alone in Church buildings.
So nothing about required Priesthood presence, neither exceptions as long as doors are all locked, simply nobody should ever be alone in the Church buildings. As a Branch President this is interesting for me, as I often take advantage of once members leave the building to do a number of calling-related things in my office (or I get there early b4 everyone else) -- but while this is convenient for me, I'm not really practicing what I'm preaching :roll:

Return to “General Discussions”