Gospel Library not working in Windows 8.1

Discussions around the Gospel Library application for Windows for Desktop and Mobile

Moderator: BowmanDH

JohnCLarson

Re: Gospel Library not working in Windows 8.1

Post by JohnCLarson »

The full library is there for me but I am unable to download any books or materials. I get an Error Message when attempting to download.

"Unable to download book. Exception from HRESULT: 0X80072EE4"

Is there a fix for this? :(

John Larson
joshuaworkman

Post by joshuaworkman »

Did you already try uninstalling, then reinstalling the app? There's a good chance this will fix any issue that you may be having.
brentwilliamyoung

Post by brentwilliamyoung »

I'm having similar issue running Windows 8.1. Worked just fine earlier today with full library. When I opened it up later there was only the help icon and scripture icon which didn't work. Very strange. When it did work it previously it was slow to respond to scrolling and also would jump farther than expected when it did scroll.
ToManyLetters

Post by ToManyLetters »

The full library is there for me but I am unable to download any books or materials. I get an Error Message when attempting to download.

"Unable to download book. Exception from HRESULT: 0X80072EE4"
It sounds like the app may be having problems accessing the content that needs to be downloaded. Typically, when this happens, an over-zealous anti-virus program is to blame. We've had issues recently with McAfee. Try temporarily disabling the firewall for your anti-virus program suite and then attempt to download books.
I'm having similar issue running Windows 8.1. Worked just fine earlier today with full library. When I opened it up later there was only the help icon and scripture icon which didn't work. Very strange. When it did work it previously it was slow to respond to scrolling and also would jump farther than expected when it did scroll.
Have you tried reinstalling the application? Do that and see if the application works for you after reinstallation.
Learn more about Gospel Library for Windows 10 Beta at the link below:
https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Gospel_Library_for_Windows_10
preston.baxter

Post by preston.baxter »

I was using Gospel Library on my tablet just fine for several months. It was really nice for viewing Come Follow Me videos, linking to scriptures, etc. A couple of weeks ago the program started to simply crash when launched ... no error, no dialog, no nothing. After clicking the icon in the START window, after a few seconds of the black splash screen with yellow "wait for it" animated circle, I am re-directed back to the start menu. I have also tried installing the BETA with exactly the same result. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling both but with no difference in behavior.
ToManyLetters

Post by ToManyLetters »

Okay. Let’s see if we can get this sorted. This is going to be a bit technical to do, but I think we’ll be alright.

We’re going to need to follow these steps pretty closely to ensure we get everything out of the Gospel Library folder that shouldn’t be there. I believe a rogue file may be crashing your app.

1. Uninstall Gospel Library and Gospel Library beta.
2. Restart your computer.
3. Open a folder and go to the following location on your computer:
C:\Users\{YOUR USERNAME}\AppData\Local\Packages\TheChurchofJesusChristofL.GospelLibrary_ae8bh92e13w8t\
(Since you also have the beta installed, there may also be a second folder with a similar name. Follow steps 4 & 5 for that folder, too.)
4. This folder should be in the list of folders in “Packages”. If it is, open it and delete any and everything in it. This folder should be empty.
5. Reinstall the application from the Windows Store. 

Let me know if this helps you.
preston.baxter

Post by preston.baxter »

Uninstalled and restarted. After drilling in to the "Packages" folder, there was not any folder related to the Gospel Library apps. I re-installed the BETA and the behavior is exactly the same: I get the black splash screen with Moroni and the wide red BETA bar at the top, the yellow whirly-gig goes around a couple of times, and then I am dumped back to my Start window again.
preston.baxter

Post by preston.baxter »

After the installation I noticed there was a "TheChurchofJesusChrist..." folder in the Packages folder, but after un-installation of the software that entire folder was also removed automatically. So it doesn't appear that rogue files are remaining there as suspected / hoped.
ToManyLetters

Post by ToManyLetters »

I'm going to assume you've already tried temporarily disabling any anti-virus programs, like McAffee's or Norton's, as mentioned below.

With that assumption, we'll try a few more things to see if we can get the app starting. Try a few things for me:

1. If your device is a mobile device, set the device into airplane mode and try to start the app a few times. If your device is plugged in via Ethernet cable, temporarily disconnect the cable from either the wall or from the desktop's tower and attempt to start the app up to ten times.

2. If your device is a mobile device, attempt to start the application on another network. For example--a friend's home, public Wi-Fi, like that available at McDonald's restaurants, or the guest network of a neighbor. As in (1), try to start the app up to ten times.

Let me know the results.
preston.baxter

Post by preston.baxter »

I re-installed BETA. While still connected to WIFI, I tried to start the app. The spinner on the splash screen did not spin ... I got sometimes one or other times only two little yellow dots before the app crashed. Did this 10 times.

I enabled airplane mode. The spinner circles on the splash screen, but I got this error: "Unable to download catalog. Please connect to the internet and restart the application."

I connected to WIFI through my phone's hotspot (instead of the local WIFI). I was presented with the "Gospel Library (Beta) Changes" info page. I was then able to access the library. I downloaded one item (Old Testament ... I should have picked something smaller).

I re-enabled airplane mode and restarted the tablet computer. I was able to re-enter the library and open the OT. I re-connected to the local WIFI (without shutting down the app) but was not able to download anything else. I got the error "Unable to download book: New Testament. Service unavailable (503). (Exception from HRESULT:0x801901F7)"

I restarted the tablet computer. When launching the BETA I again got the truncated whirly-gig and then the app crashes with no error message (same as the original behavior). Verified that going to airplane mode allows me to open the app.

So the moral of the story is to not read my scriptures at work?

Return to “Gospel Library for Windows”