Windows 8.1 update?

Discussions around the Gospel Library application for Windows for Desktop and Mobile

Moderator: BowmanDH

walksm8

Re: Windows 8.1 update?

Post by walksm8 »

Joe I've signed up to the project and would like to become a beta tester but I can't seem to find the link to the current release?
ToManyLetters

Post by ToManyLetters »

If I could get access to the pre-release client, too, I'd be more than happy to beta test for bugs/quirks.
Learn more about Gospel Library for Windows 10 Beta at the link below:
https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Gospel_Library_for_Windows_10
mattwolfley

Post by mattwolfley »

I've not read the thread completely through, but I have four windows 8 devices, two desktops, a laptop, and a Dell Tablet I use this app from so I'd be willing to provide a wide variety of testing for any betas. Thanks.
EJLindsay

Post by EJLindsay »

I am getting the sense that we may be close to seeing a workable Windows 8.1 Gospel Library App. That would be more than great.

I thank those who have been working on this update (rewrite) project.

Is there a way to submit requirements or suggestions?

For example, in using most applications -- Office, IE, LDS Scriptures, the Ensign, Conference talks, etc. -- I can send a selection to OneNote. I find that feature to be incredibly valuable. Maybe this capability will automatically be in the App with the new architecture.

Jay
ToManyLetters

Post by ToManyLetters »

Hi, EJLindsay,

The current version of the LDS Gospel Library rewrite has selection capabilities but not yet a share text to OneNote. My assumption is that this feature is coming when the annotations (which are being worked on) get baked in, but I will pass your feedback onto the team.
k26brewer

Post by k26brewer »

The OneNote feature is a great idea. Do we have any indication on when this new version will be released? I appreciate the many efforts going into this new version. The feature set is exactly what is needed.
ToManyLetters

Post by ToManyLetters »

K26brewer,

Unfortunately, we do not currently have an ETA for the release of this new version. It is, out of necessity, a complete re-write of the app that is currently available on the Windows Store. We understand the desire many have to have a new, feature-rich version of the app as soon as possible and we are actively working to make that a reality. At this point, we can only ask that you remain patient for a little while longer and, if you have any programming experience (especially with C#, XAML, and SQL, amongst others) or are willing to help alpha/beta test the unfinished app, that you join the Gospel Library Windows project here on LDS Tech.
joe_coolish

Post by joe_coolish »

Good news however, the GL for Windows Phone is in beta with a tentitive release date of a couple of weeks! The Windows 8 app is also following close behind!
joshlarmore

Post by joshlarmore »

Oh my goodness! That's fanatic news. I've been using the web app for months now. To finally have a fully fledged windows phone 8 version of the app thrills me. Thank you faithful brothers and sisters for working so hard.

- Josh
JustThink

Post by JustThink »

Not to spoil the excitement Josh, but the Windows Phone update is not the same HUGE rewrite that the Windows version is going through... yet. This update is mostly bug fixes and support for additional languages. Our team is tiny, so we hope to leverage a lot of the work the Windows app team is doing. I'm going to start looking at the Windows changes soon.

Return to “Gospel Library for Windows”