VHS tapes to DVDs

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

robdunford wrote:Now, they want me to convert (the best parts of) more than 100 of our family memories on SVHS, VHS and Hi-8 tape to standard or high-definition, 16:9 (wide-screen) DVDs. Is this a wise approach for the future or are there other options we should consider (such as Blu-Ray, distribution on hard drives, the Cloud, etc.)?
From my perspective, you are safest if you stick with a standard that has been most widely adopted. For example, CDs were created somewhere mid 1980's and yet you'd have no problem finding something to read a CD with today.

For now, I think DVD will fit the bill. I believe it has enough resolution to capture the details of the source material, and yet it can easily be transfered to some future format.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
omega0401-p40

Post by omega0401-p40 »

Is there anyone who has connections to the church who may know if there is a project to transfer the church VHS tapes to DVD and when that might be? I assume there is. If that happens I would not hesitate to buy those DVD's for home and class lessons.

I think we are approaching a time (some wards/branches may already be at that time) when you read your lesson manual and it suggests to play a such-and-such recording on a VHS video, there will not be a VHS player at church to show it or it is broken.

I know that in my ward the video player can do both VHS and DVD for now. Replacing them with both types of players, once they break, may become harder to do. There are probably many members who can not play them at home because they have a DVD player without a VHS player.
MorettiDP

Post by MorettiDP »

I suggest anyone have access to CDOL contact people in the Church's Audiovisual Department (a department of the Presiding Bishopric).
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

One of my favorite BOM missionary videos is one the Church produced called "voice from the Dust" it has a few different stories on it. I really wish the Church could put this on DVD.
kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators

Post by kennethjorgensen »

wrigjef wrote:One of my favorite BOM missionary videos is one the Church produced called "voice from the Dust" it has a few different stories on it. I really wish the Church could put this on DVD.
YES, it is also one of my favourites. I had to rely on YouTube for the Italian story one day but I cannot find the other segments from the same video as I also like the Moroni story.
vernondcole

Post by vernondcole »

The last factory on earth which manufactured VHS record heads closed about a year ago, I am told. The company I was working for at the time had to spend millions of dollars to convert their video recording (surveillance) systems from VHS to digital. Neither the Church nor anybody else should be investing on tape technology today.
mmariluch-p40

Why not use the technology available?

Post by mmariluch-p40 »

It would be beneficial if the church would create AVI, MPEG or even ISO downloads for videos such as these to assist in lesson preparation. The technology is pretty simple and would help alot of people out. If the church would just look at my submitted resume and hire me, I could put a project together to provide this to the members. I'm curious why the church is not able to keep up with technology better.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

mmariluch wrote:It would be beneficial if the church would create AVI, MPEG or even ISO downloads for videos such as these to assist in lesson preparation. The technology is pretty simple and would help alot of people out. If the church would just look at my submitted resume and hire me, I could put a project together to provide this to the members. I'm curious why the church is not able to keep up with technology better.
I think your proposed suggestion could be a terrific improvement, but I must say I cannot agree with the assertion that the "Church is not able to keep up with technology better" merely because this one idea is not implemented.
MorettiDP

Post by MorettiDP »

I don't know... I still like more have a commercial printed DVD in my hands. Is a good way to store the product, a good gift to our friends and we can do convertion to another file types for home and Church use in our own way...
jgottfredson

Post by jgottfredson »

I worked for the Church AV department up until 2001 and there was one guy who sat in a dark room authoring all the churches video content to DVD. I think you can get most of the church media on DVD through the LDS Catalog.

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”