money be taken out of my account.

Discussions about the Online Donation system.
richard4181

money be taken out of my account.

Post by richard4181 »

I have paid my tithing, but you guys take to long to take it out, which really does not help my budget, can you explain why is that? the old system was better straight away? this does not suit me at all,

I paid to lots same day but only one has come out took a few days, so when does the other lot go out, this is not good enough for me.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: money be taken out of my account.

Post by russellhltn »

This is primarily a user-to-user support forum. So, you're unlikely to get any kind of official response.

We haven't been told what is the factors behind the time delay. It does strike me as odd since the church as really worked in the past to make sure the money is transferred to them as quickly as possible.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

richard4181 wrote:I have paid my tithing, but you guys take to long to take it out, which really does not help my budget, can you explain why is that?
It is not really any different than when you write a check. You write the check, the recipient deposits it, that bank sends the request for funds to your bank, and a few days later the money comes out of your checking account.

When you donate online, you complete the donation, the Church records it and the Church's bank requests the funds from your bank. Your bank takes the funds out of your account and sends them to the Church's bank.

The process where one bank requests funds from another bank the that bank transfers the funds to the first bank usually takes two days in the United States.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

lajackson wrote:The process where one bank requests funds from another bank the that bank transfers the funds to the first bank usually takes two days in the United States.
And that is business days. Weekends and holidays make the time longer.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

Although that is true in the US and most people here are used to dealing with the time lag, in some other parts of the world checks are hardly ever used. In many countries user initiated bank transfers (where the money is withdrawn very quickly when a payment is made) are much more common. And even in the US, credit card payments usually place a hold on the payment amount very quickly so even if the money isn't withdrawn immediately, it's obviously not available.

So for someone who is used to only user initiated transfers, bill pay style payments and credit card payments, the recipient initiated transfer process may seem slow.

However, I expect the recipient initiated transfer works both in the US and these other parts of the world. So by using this method the church doesn't have to maintain support for multiple payment styles. At least, that's my guess.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The problem with bank-side initiated transfers is trying to match the donation to the MRN and how much goes into each category. With church-side initiated payment, all that's needed is the bank account it's to be drawn on.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

eblood66 wrote:Although that is true in the US and most people here are used to dealing with the time lag, in some other parts of the world checks are hardly ever used. In many countries user initiated bank transfers (where the money is withdrawn very quickly when a payment is made) are much more common.
I think that is part of what is happening in the discussions here. When Elder Malm (from Sweden, now deceased) was called as a General Authority and moved to Salt Lake City, he asked his bishop for the ward account number so he could pay his tithing. His bishop handed him a gray envelope. Elder Malm said he had not had a checking account for 15 years.

So he did two things. He went and opened a checking account. And he became involved with the Finance Department in helping to set up online donations.

I regularly use two different major U.S. banks. They each handle ACH transfers differently. I take advantage of those differences.

Return to “Online Donations”