Is there a web app for Gospel Living?

Any discussions around the Gospel Living App on various mobile devices.
fletch74

Is there a web app for Gospel Living?

Post by fletch74 »

I doubt there's a Gospel Living web app. However, this would make a lot of sense to me, as 1) I often prefer to work from a laptop and 2) I'd like my children to benefit from the app's functionality (especially the discover, impression, and goal setting features) without needing their own mobile device or borrowing a parent's.

Would it make most sense to request this feature via the mobile app's send feedback feature :D or somewhere else?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Is there a web app for Gospel Living?

Post by jdlessley »

Because the app is in the early release we can expect further development to meet the needs of members. The quickest method to request a web based app version of the mobile app is through the app's send feedback. I would also send the request up through the priesthood line. Your bishop discusses this with the stake president; he discusses it with the area authority; and so on.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
fletch74

Post by fletch74 »

jdlessley wrote:Because the app is in the early release we can expect further development to meet the needs of members. The quickest method to request a web based app version of the mobile app is through the app's send feedback. I would also send the request up through the priesthood line. Your bishop discusses this with the stake president; he discusses it with the area authority; and so on.
Awesome. Will do, thanks!
dtavres

Post by dtavres »

jdlessley wrote:Because the app is in the early release we can expect further development to meet the needs of members..
I've seen posts about the app back to 2013... How long is "early release"?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

dtavres wrote:
jdlessley wrote:Because the app is in the early release we can expect further development to meet the needs of members..
I've seen posts about the app back to 2013... How long is "early release"?
The Gospel Living app was released in January of 2020. I have no idea to what you are referring that goes back to 2013.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:I have no idea to what you are referring that goes back to 2013.
Probably confusing a poster's "join" date with post date.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mrnonaustralianguy

Post by mrnonaustralianguy »

Yes, there is. Sort of. Just the Discover portion, though.
Jeremy 🎶
idefaye

Post by idefaye »

It's been over a year. We try to motivated all leaders and members in the stake to use this app rather than social network, where technically youth under the age of 13 are not allowed. But the fact that it's a phone only thing blocks it's adoption and we see a myriad of social network being used. We don't feel these social networks are the safe way to protect our youngest. It has already caused some trouble when one member social network gets hacked and start sending undesired message to everyone.
Having this great tool be available to a wide range of members would definetly make a difference. I will suggest again via the app feedback, but it would be good to see some kind of timeline, even if the first features are limited.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

idefaye wrote:...it would be good to see some kind of timeline, even if the first features are limited.
Your points are good, but for management of expectations, please be aware that the church rarely, if ever, gives any timelines (so I wouldn't get my hopes up to hear one). The developers are not at liberty to pick and choose their projects (and I have heard there are fewer of them than anyone would expect). This forum is full of regular members, like yourself, with no special insight. If any developers do visit the forums, they are likely in an unofficial capacity and not at liberty to discuss future plans or timelines.
idefaye

Post by idefaye »

davesudweeks wrote:...and I have heard there are fewer of them than anyone would expect
Yeah, that's one reason I wish there was more openness to open-source help. There are a lot of members in the programming world (including myself) that could definitely help. Just thinking of the in-house tools we do for our stake (and boy we have to find ways to make up for lack of APIs to capture data), if there was a way to participate openly and share this, then we would focus more on the ministering and less on the administering. But it seems this was shut down so time ago.
It could e as simple as making the private APIs usable on a sandbox platform with fake data, so volunteer could share solutions and improve on existing one. Anyways... another topic...

Return to “Gospel Living App”