A great Web Filtering Solution

Do you have a useful link that involves the Church and the technology discussed on this site? Post your links and resources here.
happy1z

A great Web Filtering Solution

Post by happy1z »

I work in the IT industry. I know the topic of Web Filtering at home is a big topic. I have been equally concerned about this topic with my kids. For Buisness's who have the money buying a large scale solution for the company is a great option. One of the popular solutions out there is Blue Coat. This is a solution that is used around the world for buisness's. I have experience with the this product and have been very impressed with its abilities.

The great news is that this same company has a FREE home solution using the same dynamic database that is used in there product sold to companies.

http://www.k9webprotection.com/

I am really suprised that this option has not been talked about. It is great for parents and Free. It is a piece of software that is loaded on a PC and has a very small memory footprint. I have noticed no speed difference with the software loaded and it gives me the ability to block by time as well as log what is going on.

This is well worth looking at and trying.

** Disclamer: I am not affiliated with Blue Coat and do not sell products **
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

I moved your post here and started a new thread. It will be easier for others to find and comment on if they desire. That other thread was getting a little wild and really needed to be locked.

Although I have not used K9, I have read a couple of good reviews on it.

Mike
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

I have been looking for something like this for several months now. I downloaded and installed this program today.

I had read the manual earlier (it is available online) and had an idea how it would work. I have been pleased that it works as advertised, and that it is flexible enough that I can set it the way I truly want it.

With the administrative password, adjustments can me made in real time, and they can be made to be either permanent or temporary. The logs are thorough, detailed, and helpful. I think I am going to like it.
kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators

Post by kennethjorgensen »

happy-one wrote: http://www.k9webprotection.com/

I am really suprised that this option has not been talked about. It is great for parents and Free. It is a piece of software that is loaded on a PC and has a very small memory footprint. I have noticed no speed difference with the software loaded and it gives me the ability to block by time as well as log what is going on.

This is well worth looking at and trying.

** Disclamer: I am not affiliated with Blue Coat and do not sell products **
Thank you very much for that. Its just the sort of things many would want. If its not talked about then its likely most dont know about it, even if it seems natural to some of us.
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

Only for Windows, Mac in beta test.
I tried to install with Linux (Wine) but it check OS before start and quit!
La vita è una lezione interminabile di umiltà (Anonimo).
Life is a endless lesson of humility (Anonimous).
happy1z

Post by happy1z »

marianomarini_vi wrote:Only for Windows, Mac in beta test.
I tried to install with Linux (Wine) but it check OS before start and quit!

If you are looking for a linux based solution then try Dan's Guardian. It is a really popular free Web Filtering solution for linux.

http://dansguardian.org/

Happy-One
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

Thanks a lot. I'll try it surely.
La vita è una lezione interminabile di umiltà (Anonimo).
Life is a endless lesson of humility (Anonimous).
HansenBK

Clark Connect over Dan's Guardian

Post by HansenBK »

happy-one wrote:If you are looking for a linux based solution then try Dan's Guardian. It is a really popular free Web Filtering solution for linux.

http://dansguardian.org/

Happy-One
clark connect is a MUCH easier setup than Dan's Guardian. (It actually uses Dan's Guardian under the hood) http://www.clarkconnect.com/downloads/

I echo the others comments though that K9 is the best for Windows use.
johnshaw

K9 Fan

Post by johnshaw »

I'm also a big fan of K9, my IT shop uses bluecoat and that's how I found the solution.
kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators

Dont forget

Post by kennethjorgensen »

Here is a tip from my 15 year old son:

"Dont forget to also install the K9 software on any virtual images (VirtualPC or VmWare) you might use"

He is right, it took him 5 min to work that one out.

I have now loaded it on our PC's in the home and I must admit I am very impressed. Its not 100% but a lot better than nothing. I particularly like the time grid where you can set the internet to be off at certain time slots. There is no arguing over stopping at certain times because it simply goes OFF.

Return to “Links & Resources”