Attendence count and tap counter

Do you have a useful link that involves the Church and the technology discussed on this site? Post your links and resources here.
wrigjef

Attendence count and tap counter

Post by wrigjef »

Just downloaded a tap counter for my smart phone. This should aid in getting a count during meetings.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Attendence count and tap counter

Post by sbradshaw »

Are there any tactile counter apps that allow you to use physical buttons – for example, the volume up/down buttons – to increment count?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

While I'm all for tactile feedback, having worn out the power button on one phone, I'm not sure as I'd want to do that.

What I used to do was to do a headcount on a "section" and then add them up. So something that worked like a super simple spreadsheet would work for me.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

Tactile is great but in my experience you either run the risk of wearing out a button or generating unwanted noise. We once had a clerk that used a metal line counter (clicker) to do the count. It was so disruptive that he was asked to stop. For awhile after that he was counting the sacrement cups that went out vs the cups that came back to do the count but eventually went back to the manual walking around method. I just think the tap counter might make things easier and silent.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Good points. The thing I'd be worried about with a touch-screen tap counter is, if my finger is too close to the screen sometimes I'd worry about accidentally registering taps by lightly touching it as I'm walking around. Especially if I'm not looking at the counter app while I'm counting...
rpyne

Post by rpyne »

I am using the android app "tap counter" from Wizzbang. It is a fre app and has excellent feedback in the form of vibration when a tap is counted. I can turn the screen brightness way down and just walk up the isle discretely tapping the screen. I like it mostly because it has a large tap area covering most of the center of the screen.
bballrob

Post by bballrob »

wrigjef wrote:For awhile after that he was counting the sacrement cups that went out vs the cups that came back to do the count
Problem with this method is that you do have attendees who do not partake for varying reasons. Also, you have latecomers who miss the sacrament.

When do most wards seem to count? We have instructed our ward clerk to count as the final speaker begins their talk.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I've always counted during the intermediate hymn, when there is one, because it seems like the least distracting time.

Return to “Links & Resources”