Message this morning: "Your stake is not particpating in this program"

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mkmurray wrote:At least, that's what I remember from someone else bringing up this problem on some other thread...
That was probably me expressing a tentative theory. IIRC, that theory didn't pan out in that thread, but there may be more then one cause. I don't want to give too much credit due to repeating the theory, but it would be nice to collect a score of events proving or disproving it.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

mkmurray wrote:You would have to first login as the spouse every time though, because you cannot foresee when the outage will be...

Yes that is correct, but at least you wouldn't have your account logged out. And depending is 2 mins each time you log in worth not having your account locked out?
- David
jeromer7

More incidental evidence to the missing Admins mystery

Post by jeromer7 »

We have two Stake Admins and we both escaped the carnage. I did try to log in to LUWS during the outage yesterday afternoon. The log in screen was presented and it was only after entering my username/password that I got an error. Thus I did not get to a ward or our stake home page to be able to even attempt to enter the Admin page.

Don't know the significance of my experience, but in troubleshooting, little details are useful.
JLR
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

Now did anyone not try to log into LUWS and get their admin privileges revoked?
- David
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

JLRose wrote:The log in screen was presented and it was only after entering my username/password that I got an error. Thus I did not get to a ward or our stake home page to be able to even attempt to enter the Admin page.
Same here.
jworkin-p40

Post by jworkin-p40 »

thedqs wrote:Have your spouse log in (who is a normal user), if they can log in then it is safe to log in as admin, otherwise keep on polling the site using your spouse's login.
Thats not going to work real well for those of us without a spouse :)
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

jworkin wrote:Thats not going to work real well for those of us without a spouse :)

Roommate maybe?
- David
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I"ve heard back from the clerk's list that both admins for one stake were locked out, but neither one tried to get in while it was down. So much for that theory.
ShirtsDre

Incident Resolved.

Post by ShirtsDre »

There are weekly night cron updates to the membership data for LUWS. The main update this last week failed. When members brought this failure to our attention, we worked as quickly as possible to get it resolved. It has now been corrrected.

To date, an out of service page for LUWS was not created nor implemented. We now have such a page for scheduled, manned service outtages: https://secure.lds.org/scheduled_maintenance.html . If the update is a weekly or nightly cron job, it is always expected to run fairly quickly and not cause any major disruption in site usage, so this out of service page will not be used.

In the case when there is a major system issue that is affecting the entire LUWS site will we use the out of service redirect. Other than that we will keep the whole site running and deal with incidents on a page by page basis.

In regard to why admins were getting their rights removed: This is an issue that happens when such a data update failure occurs. If the system cannot match up your records in this main LUWS database table with the rights table, the rights are removed. This removal is programmed to ONLY occur during a user's login. When this data update failure occured, the LUWS member record database table copy was not populated and therefore it had nothing to compare against, so the admin user's rights were revoked.

This revocation is a security measure to remove rights for deceased or excommunicated members.

This security measure will remain in place. We are working to ensure that such data update failures don't happen again.

The resolution for users to get their rights back have already been iterated in this thread: Call LUWS support or have another admin login and restore your rights.
-- Learn from the past. Prepare for the future. Live in the present. -- President Thomas S. Monson
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

BillyBoJimBob wrote:In regard to why admins were getting their rights removed: This is an issue that happens when such a data update failure occurs. If the system cannot match up your records in this main LUWS database table with the rights table, the rights are removed. This removal is programmed to ONLY occur during a user's login. When this data update failure occurred, the LUWS member record database table copy was not populated and therefore it had nothing to compare against, so the admin user's rights were revoked.

This revocation is a security measure to remove rights for deceased or excommunicated members.

This security measure will remain in place. We are working to ensure that such data update failures don't happen again.

The resolution for users to get their rights back have already been iterated in this thread: Call LUWS support or have another admin login and restore your rights.

Thanks for the info, so in a way it was the logging in during an update that will remove your rights. Glad you also got a page up though as I said in another post it should go up during any update to further avoid the problem of legit users having their rights removed.
- David

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”