MLS 3.0 Issue: Other Resources missing

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

The usual fix for those having problems with patches is to download the full install from the MLS download site. But that is not available. That makes correcting any patch/update problems a real headache.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

ScheStev wrote:I do hope SOMEONE is listening and disables autoupdates before tomorrow morning.
In the past, you could not download a major update on Sunday during the normally busiest hours. It may be that they have programmed the servers that way this time, as well.

In the past, it has also been downright kind of them to let us snag the update at the download site a few days early, so that we could avoid the pain and anguish normally associated with our more primitive modes of communication that are the standard for this part of the wilderness. [grin]
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

jdlessley wrote:The usual fix for those having problems with patches is to download the full install from the MLS download site. But that is not available. That makes correcting any patch/update problems a real headache.
This is the reason I also believe there may have been a small mistake. I suspect either that the "patch" was intended for the beta testers, or that the wrong file got placed on the download server.

Just this week, one of our units got a message that they needed to upgrade from 2.9.3 to 2.9.4 so they would be able to get the 3.0 upgrade "later this summer". (CHQ was not able to tell that this unit was sharing a box that had already been upgraded.)

I suppose that summer has now arrived. [grin]
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jdlessley wrote:The usual fix for those having problems with patches is to download the full install from the MLS download site. But that is not available. That makes correcting any patch/update problems a real headache.
The notice sent to beta sites specifically said the full MLS 3.0 beta download would be available on 13 June 2009. There's only 75 minutes left in the day, MST, so I'm not holding my breath.

I was able to upgrade all 7 wards plus the stake computer today, and had absolutely no problems with the upgrade. That gives me hope. The post that started this thread reported a problem with Other Resources that might have been related to the upgrade, but I have heard of no other upgrade problems. So we can cross our fingers (or exercise faith, whichever seems more effective ;)) that such problems will be minimal.
lajackson wrote:I suppose that summer has now arrived. [grin]
Certainly according to the definition my school-aged children use, it has.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

Alan_Brown wrote:The notice sent to beta sites specifically said the full MLS 3.0 beta download would be available on 13 June 2009.
I never saw this message in our ward MLS messaging inbox, as I usually do. I will qualify that it's possible someone read it and deleted it, but I think it not likely as every other MLS message from the last 6 months are all there. I think it more likely that perhaps the MLS messages only went to the Stake installs...?
PNMarkW2

Post by PNMarkW2 »

Upon reading this thread I made a point to stop by the office and do a Send/Receive for any updates. Took 10 minutes, no issues, no problems, all is well.

Your mileage may vary.
~Mark
Ward Clerk
Colonial Heights Ward
Portland Oregon Stake

-----
"For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three."
---Alice Kahn
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

lajackson wrote:I might add that I think it may have been a mistake.

And unless they cut off downloads during prime time Sunday, I think they are heading for a train wreck...
Traditionally, they shut off upgrades during "prime time" on Sundays so they can avoid high server loads and busy signals. Hopefully this will also be the case tomorrow.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
iamdavid

Post by iamdavid »

Possibly not an issue - I never yet had a Confidential Saved Form survive an update but then, they are only supposed to last 90 days? If you didn't think to print and store in a safe place, too bad.

But the Audit section wrx
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

WenU wrote:Possibly not an issue - I never yet had a Confidential Saved Form survive an update but then, they are only supposed to last 90 days? If you didn't think to print and store in a safe place, too bad.

But the Audit section wrx
The question is not whether the forms are saved, but rather if the software module for accessing the forms is properly loaded. The saved forms are somewhere in the database, but the appearance of modules in the Other Resources panel is more a question of installation and application configuration.

I would assume that once the problem with the installation is corrected, any saved forms will still be accessible.
greggo

Post by greggo »

Just to throw in our ward's experience...

The ward clerk initiated a send/receive and upgraded the MLS version (it said ver 2.9.4 but was actually 3.0). Instead of doing a reboot, he just exited and relaunched MLS (it still came up 2.9.4). At that point he tried to print a PH ordination certificate, but the info didn't filled in. It just printed a blank form.

I suggested he do a reboot and try again. This time 3.0 loaded and the certificates printed fine. No other problems noted.

Note, as far as I know, our stake was never in the beta group.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”