Mls 3.0.2

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
childsdj

Post by childsdj »

tregis wrote:We just got it last night as well, unfortunately I and the stake exec sec, ( I'm the Stake Clerk) had been erased from CDOL. I had to re enter both of us to get things corrected on my end.
Hopefully, this version will fix a lot of things.

In order to clean up some of the issues with callings in the 3.0 release, you may see some of the custom calling positions disappear after the initial download. Do not reenter the positions. They will be processed by the backend systems at CHQ and then sent back down and repopulate MLS. This should happen after doing a send/receive sometime during the week.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

MLS 3.0.2 is now showing up as availble for download at mls.lds.org.
pete_arnett-p40

MLS 3.0.2 Release Notes

Post by pete_arnett-p40 »

MLS Release Notes

Contents MLS 3.0.2

• [url=file:///C:/Program%20Files/LDS%20Church/MLS/MLS%20Release%20Notes.htm#newfeatures28]New Features and Changes in MLS 3.0.2[/url]
    • [url=file:///C:/Program%20Files/LDS%20Church/MLS/MLS%20Release%20Notes.htm#generalfeatures]General Changes[/url]
    • [url=file:///C:/Program%20Files/LDS%20Church/MLS/MLS%20Release%20Notes.htm#membershipnewfeatures]Membership Changes[/url]
    • [url=file:///C:/Program%20Files/LDS%20Church/MLS/MLS%20Release%20Notes.htm#financenewfeatures]Finance Changes[/url]
  • [url=file:///C:/Program%20Files/LDS%20Church/MLS/MLS%20Release%20Notes.htm#submittingbugs]Submitting Bugs[/url]
New Features and Changes in MLS 3.0.2

General Changes
  • MLS in Russian. MLS is now available in the Russian language.
Changes Related to Membership
  • Elders May Serve as Stake Clerk or Stake Executive Secretary. Elders may now be recorded in MLS for the stake callings of stake clerk and stake executive secretary, as allowed by the Church Handbook of Instructions.
Changes Related to Finance
  • Signature Card May Now Be Filled Out Completely. Stakes and wards may now list up to six authorized signers on the Signature Card (U.S. and Canada).
  • Financial Audit Forms Available in French and Spanish (U.S. and Canada). Stake and ward financial audit forms are now available to print in French and Spanish in the United States and Canada.
Contents MLS 3.0

• [url=file:///C:/Program%20Files/LDS%20Church/MLS/MLS%20Release%20Notes.htm#newfeatures30]New Features and Changes in MLS 3.0[/url]
    • [url=file:///C:/Program%20Files/LDS%20Church/MLS/MLS%20Release%20Notes.htm#generalfeatures30]General Changes[/url]
    • [url=file:///C:/Program%20Files/LDS%20Church/MLS/MLS%20Release%20Notes.htm#membershipnewfeatures30]Membership Changes[/url]
    • [url=file:///C:/Program%20Files/LDS%20Church/MLS/MLS%20Release%20Notes.htm#furtherexplanation]Further Explanation of Three New Features[/url]
  • [url=file:///C:/Program%20Files/LDS%20Church/MLS/MLS%20Release%20Notes.htm#submittingbugs]Submitting Bugs[/url]
New Features and Changes in MLS 3.0

General Changes
  • Updating unit and leader information. Stakes and districts can now send and receive changes to leader and unit information electronically. A new option has been added to the "Other Resources" menu dealing with Leader and Unit Change Requests. After this information is transmitted, it will be recorded at Church headquarters. This feature eliminates the need to use the paper-based Information Change Request (ICR) forms currently used by some units.
  • Recording meeting times. When it is time to change ward and branch meeting times (usually at the beginning of a new year), an urgent task will now be displayed. Recording ward and branch meeting times in MLS is important because they are displayed on Local Unit and "Find Places of Worship" Web sites. (The "Find Places of Worship" Web site is at http://maps.lds.org.) MLS is the only place local units can record or change meeting times.
  • Name searches. The name search feature is improved. Typing characters in a name search field filters the list of names in the search results list (only names matching the typed characters will display).
  • Messaging system. The MLS messaging system has been reorganized into four folders: Received, Sent, Archived, and Deleted, allowing the clerk to organize messages. The Archived folder allows important messages to be filed while urgent messages remain more visible. The Deleted folder holds messages until they are permanently deleted by the user, allowing the clerk to retrieve deleted messages if necessary. These folders can be opened from the main screen of the messaging system. Messages can be dragged into these folders. Another new feature is the ability to preview messages on the screen without opening them.
  • Hungarian language support. MLS now supports the Hungarian language.
Changes Related to Membership
  • Recording Church positions (callings). When recording a calling, MLS now contains messages that encourage clerks to use standard position names and discourages the creation of custom positions. As the Church begins to provide local leaders and members access to Church applications and programs over the Web, the Church must limit access to authorized users only. For example, someone with the position of "Ward Clerk" in MLS could access a clerk Web site, but someone with the custom position of "Senior Clerk" would not be admitted to the site. Use custom positions only when no standard position fits the calling, because custom positions cannot be used to access Church Web applications.
  • Custom position review tool. In keeping with the new emphasis on using standard position names to record callings, MLS now has a tool to review existing custom positions. To access this feature, select the Organizations menu, then select Reports/Tools. Select Custom Position Review.
  • Transfer of position (calling) information between stake and ward. Wards will now be able to view stake leadership positions (callings) on their copy of MLS. The stake will be able to view each ward's callings. When a stake updates position (calling) information, it is transmitted to the administration office and the administration office then transmits that information to a ward when that ward does a Send/Receive Changes. The same will be true for transmitting the ward positions (callings) to the stake.
  • Move Restriction. Any attempt to move out a membership record with a move restriction will display a warning message to the clerk. The bishop will need to have the move restriction canceled by the administration office before the record can actually be moved.
  • Bishopric Action and Interview List. The Bishopric Action and Interview list now includes semiannual Priest and Laurel interviews.
  • Officers Sustained form. When completing a Ward or Branch Officers Sustained form, the names for stake officers are now automatically supplied by MLS.
  • Access to forms and certificates. Links to forms and certificates on MLS menus have been moved so that they are more readily visible and easier to find. You can view most forms and certificates by clicking "More" on Reports/Forms. Similar improvements have been made in the drop-down menu, where the old "Lists" menu has been replaced by the "Reports/Forms" menu.
Further Explanation of Three New Features
  1. There are several new features in MLS 3.0. This section highlights three of these new features. To see a list of all new features read the notes above.
  2. Updating unit and leader information (stakes only). Stakes can now use MLS to send leadership information change requests to Church headquarters.
    > On the Other Resources menu, select Leader and Unit Change Request.
    > As needed, change leader information for the stake or any ward in the stake.
    > Save the changes.
    > From the main menu, select Send/Receive Changes to transmit the information.
  3. Recording Church Positions (Callings). As the Church begins to provide local leaders and members access to Church applications and programs over the Web, the Church must limit access to authorized users only. For example, someone with the position of "Ward Clerk" in MLS could have access to a clerk Web site, but someone with the custom position of "Senior Clerk" would not be admitted to the site.
    Difference between standard positions and custom positions: (1) Stake and ward organizations have positions (callings) associated with them. Some are standard positions, which are the same in MLSfor all Church units. Others are custom postions created by you for your local unit. (2) When assigning a member to a position, use a standard position whenever possible. Some Church Web sites will look for a standard position linked to a member name when establishing rights and responsibilities in using the Web site. Therefore, please make sure no standard position exists before creating a custom position. (3) To help you determine which positions to use when assigning a member to a calling, MLS displays two icons representing the two types of positions: a gold star for standard positions and an orange circle for custom positions.
    There is now a Custom Position Review tool to review existing custom positions to see if there are standard positions that can be used in place of each custom position. To access this new feature, go to the Organizations menu. On the Reports/Tools panel, select Custom Position Review.
  4. Transferring Position (Calling) Information between Stake and Ward. Wards are now able to view stake leadership positions (callings) on the Officers Sustained form in MLS. Stakes are now able to view each stake member's calling on the member's Individual Record in MLS.
    When the stake updates position information in MLS and does a Send/Receive Changes, this position information is then available to a ward after that ward does a Send/Receive Changes. The same is true for transmitting the ward positions to the stake.
Submitting bugs

If you have an isolated problem with MLS or you have a feature request, then you have two options to report them: e-mail or phone call.
When submitting bugs, make sure that you include enough detail so we can reproduce it.

E-mail: msrmail@ldsmail.net Phone Call from Salt Lake City: 801-240-3500 Phone Call Toll Free: 800-453-3860 x23500 [img]file:///C:/im/a.gif[/img]Copyright (c) 2009 Intellectual Reserve, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
11 Aug 2009
:cool: Your Fellow Servant,
Porter (Pete) Lee Arnett Jr.
USA
pete_arnett-p40

MLS 3.0.2 - temporarily remove your custom callings

Post by pete_arnett-p40 »

[font=&quot]Dear Clerk,[/font]
[font=&quot] [/font]
[font=&quot]MLS version 3.0.2 is currently being patched to your computer. [/font][font=&quot]This process could temporarily remove your custom callings from MLS. These will reappear after being processed at headquarters. The process should be complete within a week.[/font][font=&quot] [/font][font=&quot] [/font][font=&quot]This download will require a reboot of the computer at the end of the transmission. After the software is downloaded, you must:[/font]
[font=&quot] [/font]
[font=&quot]After the download has completed and you are prompted to reboot:[/font]
[font=&quot]Exit MLS[/font]
[font=&quot]Restart the computer [/font]
[font=&quot](Click on start, then Shut Down and select Restart) [/font]
[font=&quot] [/font]
[font=&quot]DO[/font][font=&quot] NOT DELAY THE REBOOT PROCESS! [/font]
[font=&quot] [/font]
[font=&quot]We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.[/font]
[font=&quot] [/font]
[font=&quot]We appreciate your assistance.[/font]
[font=&quot] [/font]
[font=&quot]MLS Support Team[/font]
:cool: Your Fellow Servant,
Porter (Pete) Lee Arnett Jr.
USA
PNMarkW2

Post by PNMarkW2 »

pete_arnett wrote:[font=&quot] [/font][font=&quot]This process could temporarily remove your custom callings from MLS.[/font]
Our custom callings were still happily in place after the reboot and several Send and Receives. I don't know if they might be temporarily removed at any other point, but this warning did not seem to apply with us.
~Mark
Ward Clerk
Colonial Heights Ward
Portland Oregon Stake

-----
"For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three."
---Alice Kahn
childsdj

Post by childsdj »

If they weren't affected by now, you should not have any problems.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

DJC wrote:In order to clean up some of the issues with callings in the 3.0 release, you may see some of the custom calling positions disappear after the initial download. Do not reenter the positions. They will be processed by the backend systems at CHQ and then sent back down and repopulate MLS. This should happen after doing a send/receive sometime during the week.
DJC wrote:If they weren't affected by now, you should not have any problems.
DJC, you may want to see this thread as it appears some wards are still struggling with this issue, even after doing quite a few Send & Receives:

Calling Information Deleted?
rrketcheson

Assignments Vs. Callings

Post by rrketcheson »

I love the ability to see custom positions. This has really assisted in my quest to clean up our records.

What I don't see in MLS 3.0.2 is the option to add assignments. My understanding is that members are usually set apart for callings but not for assignments. The tracking of assignments is useful, especially since assignments can conflict with a members' ability to fulfill a calling. Are assignments best tracked as custom positions for now? Will they be added to a future version of MLS? Am I just making a simple issue too complicated?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

rketcheson wrote:I love the ability to see custom positions. This has really assisted in my quest to clean up our records.

What I don't see in MLS 3.0.2 is the option to add assignments. My understanding is that members are usually set apart for callings but not for assignments. The tracking of assignments is useful, especially since assignments can conflict with a members' ability to fulfill a calling. Are assignments best tracked as custom positions for now? Will they be added to a future version of MLS? Am I just making a simple issue too complicated?
For the purposes of traking in MLS our stake units use the custom positions to track assignments. The sustaining date is just not entered (It could be entered to track the date the assignment was given.) and the 'Set Apart:' radio button is left on No.

One of the reasons for the customs postions in MLS is for linking with web site access. No such feature will be associated with a custom position or an assignment.

I would hope that an assignment would never be looked upon as conflicting with a member accepting or fulfilling a calling. Callings should come first since they are from God while assignments are from man (albeit it may be inspired). I would prefer a calling over an assignment any day since I get benefits of promised blessings that come from the calling.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jdlessley wrote:For the purposes of traking in MLS our stake units use the custom positions to track assignments. The sustaining date is just not entered (It could be entered to track the date the assignment was given.) and the 'Set Apart:' radio button is left on No.

One of the reasons for the customs postions in MLS is for linking with web site access. No such feature will be associated with a custom position or an assignment.

I would hope that an assignment would never be looked upon as conflicting with a member accepting or fulfilling a calling. Callings should come first since they are from God while assignments are from man (albeit it may be inspired). I would prefer a calling over an assignment any day since I get benefits of promised blessings that come from the calling.
Assignments are given by priesthood leaders under inspiration and can have all the blessings of a calling. I see nothing in the Handbook or scriptures that would justify making the distinction that an assignment has no blessings attached.

In many cases the differences are quite subtle and not worth worrying about (straining at gnats, perhaps). Clerks should track assignments just as they would any calling in MLS, and hopefully members will serve faithfully however the priesthood leaders ask them to serve.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”