Member to move in problems cant find member

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
ernestmichaeltaylor

Member to move in problems cant find member

Post by ernestmichaeltaylor »

I am a clerk and a certain person was baptized in Hawaii. I have a pic of the certificate to prove it, but I cannot pull the person into our membership because the name is not found in the system. It would seem to me that the info should be in the system if it allows you to print the certificate. The certificate is also signed. Does this person needs to to baptized again or can I enter the criteria although it would associate the person being baptized in our ward and not where it happened. What do I do to resolve this?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Member to move in problems cant find member

Post by russellhltn »

Look at where they were baptized. I'd start sending emails to that ward and/or the mission to find the record.

That's not the official process, but I'd do that before going further.

Note that by policy, anyone over the age of 8 is to be baptized under the authority of the mission, not the unit. So, you might not be able to just enter it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

I would first contact the Global Service Center to see if there is a membership record for this member that you aren't finding for some reason. If they determine that there isn't a record, that would be a good time to read Handbook 1, 16.1.10.
ernestmichaeltaylor

Post by ernestmichaeltaylor »

Thank you for all info. The thing that doesn't make any sense is, you cannot print off a certificate unless the persons info is in the system. You can't just fill it out, it wont let you unless you record the date and so forth of the baptism then it prints that info automatically on the certificate.
Yeah you are right about entering the info, the mission is supposed to do that, at least if missionaries are involved. It does appear that I do have the capabilities to create a record myself for new member and add ordination so is possible.
Interesting to note in the guidelines Handbook 1,16.1.10 doesn't mention the situation directly. But I see that it can be done again but recorded along with the first one, but I cant even find the record, I do have the certificate where the bishop signed off on and who did it. But I cant make out he signatures. I will see if I can indeed contact the mission in charge of this area and see what they have. Maybe they can fix it on their end. Thanks. any more info is greatly appreciated.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

ernestmichaeltaylor wrote:The thing that doesn't make any sense is, you cannot print off a certificate unless the persons info is in the system. You can't just fill it out, it wont let you unless you record the date and so forth of the baptism then it prints that info automatically on the certificate.
The details on that have changed over time. Eons ago, the certificates were filled out with a typewriter. I'll bet if you dig round some clerks offices, you might still find a stash of those. ;)

I would agree with checking with support - just to see if they can find it on their end. While not likely, there's always the possibility that the bishop will need to talk to "confidential records".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
klricks

Post by klricks »

Other possibilities are maybe the DOB is wrong on the record (Does 10/1 mean Oct 1st or Jan 10th)......or name mix-ups (Mary Jane vs Jane Mary etc.).
Assistant Ward Clerk

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”