Merging Member Marriage to Another Member

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
DarrellHill

Merging Member Marriage to Another Member

Post by DarrellHill »

The section for updating the marriage info doesn't seem to merge the member record with the nonmember record. (personal information removed). Currently it says she is a nonmember, but that isn't accurate. The software likely needs to be updated to increase this capability. Or does Salt Lake need to do this on their own since it's not possible on our end?
Last edited by russellhltn on Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Merging Member Marriage to Another Member

Post by russellhltn »

DarrellHill wrote:Currently it says she is a nonmember, but that isn't accurate. The software likely needs to be updated to increase this capability. Or does Salt Lake need to do this on their own since it's not possible on our end?
Either the marriage or the baptism wasn't recorded correctly. At the point, SLC will have to fix it. I believe there's a "special request" feature that you can use.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
bluscoot

Post by bluscoot »

DarrellHill wrote:Either the marriage or the baptism wasn't recorded correctly. At the point, SLC will have to fix it. I believe there's a "special request" feature that you can use.
I'm having the same problem, and it isn't the first time I've seen this (although I can't seem to figure out how it was resolved previously). My current issue happened when the missionaries baptized a married couple; the brother's record showed up in LCR as married to a non-member, and the sister's record showed up with no spouse at all.

** I cannot add him as a spouse to her record because the system believes he's married to someone else.
** LCR doesn't give me the option to merge her record with his non-member spouse.
** I cannot Edit his marriage to simply indicate that the non-member listed is actually a recorded member of the ward.
** There is no option under Change Marriage Status to indicate that the information is just plain incorrect... I have to indicate that there was either a Death, Divorce, or Annulment. Actually, there is one other option here: "Unknown". Maybe I select that?

Similarly, this couple's 13yo son was also baptized at the same time, resulting in a hodge-podge of duplications as a recorded member and as a non-member child, but at least with children, it is very straight forward in LCR to delete the incorrect non-member listing and connect the recorded member to his parents. Seems strange that it can't be this simple to likewise correct incorrect marriage information.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

If I were you, I would put all the details for each record in a MLS message to membership and ask them to correct the records. You don't want to record a false divorce to try to fix it (I did that once - it worked but is the wrong thing to do). They have more abilities to work with these records than you do as the clerk.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”