MLS Address Sorting

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
chrispremo

MLS Address Sorting

Post by chrispremo »

Don't know if this is the place to post an enhancement, but . . .

it would be nice if we could sort reports that have the members address by street name then address number. This would allow us to "group" members by street names then street number.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

cpremo wrote:Don't know if this is the place to post an enhancement, but . . .

it would be nice if we could sort reports that have the members address by street name then address number. This would allow us to "group" members by street names then street number.
I could see how that might be helpful in some very compact wards, but even in those situations, pure street grouping would have its problems in most cases.

Are you familiar with the MLS feature Geo codes? That allows you to group members geographically, regardless of whether people live on the same street, or long streets really need to be subdivided and combined with cross streets. Geo codes can be included in custom reports and may well provide a better grouping. You might want to look into that option.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
chrispremo

MLS Address Sorting

Post by chrispremo »

Yes I use GEO Codes but there have been numerous time when I've needed to be able to sort by Street name. I know about exporting to Excel, but then that's just another step before I can complete the task I want to do.
jwtaber

Post by jwtaber »

That would be nice when I'm trying to fill in gaps in the stake geocodes. Sorting by number only helps when two families have the exact same address.
greenwoodkl

Post by greenwoodkl »

I believe any improvement in sorting will need to rely on some standardization of addresses. Perhaps some combination of the geocoding on the LDS Maps beta coupled with some localization of MLS to better standardize address fields (US match USPS data or something) could be a foundation.

I know in the mission field I would often start in a new ward by manually creating a list of members by street and then house number, utilize local phone books to try and fill any gaps, and then create index cards per street to help us in our tracting efforts and visiting to use our miles efficiently. Plus if we ran into any referrals we could find nearby members to assist. :)

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”