MLS change - temple recommend activation (caught by surprise)

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

Yea, but it could also be lost (fell out of the temple bag, wallet, etc.) Someone picks it up and recognizing it trys to get in the temple.
- David
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

bhofmann wrote:That seems pretty lame that someone would steal a temple recommend and then go to the temple with it.
Sadly, the world has it's share of lame people. :(

Possibly another issue is a member undergoing disciplinary action who refuses to surrender their recommend. I haven't seen it, but I'd bet money that it's happened. Oh, wait, betting.... :p
edwardlalone

Post by edwardlalone »

thedqs wrote:Yea, but it could also be lost (fell out of the temple bag, wallet, etc.) Someone picks it up and recognizing it trys to get in the temple.

This sort of thing happens but since they do not receive any blessings from attending the Temple without a valid Temple Recommend issued to them by someone holding the proper keys it really doesn't do much harm to the Church. The purpose of the temple and temple recommends is to teach the gospel to members of the Church and to make sure they receive the proper ordinances. I think we often become more worried about people using a Temple Recommend that we lose sight of what the Temple is. Going to the Temple isn't what brings us blessings nor does receiving the ordinances associated with the temple. The key to the gospel is faith in Jesus Christ and obedience to his commandments and receiving the ordinances are appendages to that. So I say let them try and we will prevent them to the best of our ability and if they succeed then on judgment day they will answer for their actions.

I think this new system is a good idea but let's not forget that we aren't living in the 15th Century where it was easy to protect sacred things instead now these people merely have to go online and they can find all the information they want and more. They can even purchase books from Deseret Book or obtain literature put out by the Church that talk about the Temple, temple ordinances and even gives pictures of the inside of our temples. So what is to be gained by these people? Nothing! So let's be careful that we not burden the members of the Church who are blessed by attending the Temple in order to prevent those who are not members of the Church from entering. Also, if a non-member were to enter the Temple it would likely be spotted as such by any of the number of Temple workers who would realize that the person has no idea what to do or where to go. So, I hope the Church implements this as it will go a long way in helping to prevent abuse of temple recommends but I also hope we don't go so far that we create a disincentive for going to the Temple.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

I think this thread has strayed from its original intent. The thread was started by someone who was caught by surprise by some MLS change associated with the new Temple Recommend initative.

I think that's all I need to say. Thanks.
ribeirose

Question

Post by ribeirose »

MURRAY

I have a question:

How will be the emission, control and verification of a new recommendation with bar code?
Do you know when it will be available for other countries?
I work in the Temple of Campinas....

Thanks
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

Bisposergio wrote:MURRAY

I have a question:

How will be the emission, control and verification of a new recommendation with bar code?

Thanks
I'm sorry, I don't officially work for the Church, so I do not have any information about the roll-out of new temple recommends, especially to other countries.

Feel free to ask your local leadership, area presidencies, or even contact Church HQ if you would like. I'm not sure how much they will be able to tell you, it appears the current procedure is more of a "please be patient; we'll let you know when it's your turn."
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

Bisposergio wrote:MURRAY

I have a question:

Thanks
This information has not been disclosed yet. As the program rolls out, more information will be disclosed.

Tom

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”