Stakes sharing webcasting equipment?

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
svreed

Re: Stakes sharing webcasting equipment?

Post by svreed »

I like the idea of keeping things simple. We just had 1 SMTAV-30x Optical + 8X Digital Zoom,high-Speed PTZ,3G-SDI, HDMI Output,H.265 Support Video Conference Cameras (on amazon for $700 I think it has the same guts as the $2000 cameras as the same remote works for both) A visiting authority wanted to have text overly for music on tvs on the stand. The greatly increased the cost and complexity of the setup. It is nice to have a policy to keep it simple but when that request comes in you comply. We bought the black magic switcher for $1000 that enabled the text overly in real time to broadcast to the other rooms. When I see comments about using IP cameras i am guessing you are not doing same building viewing of the feed. So having bought that switcher for getting the overly it was just another $700 to add a second camera. For me it was more for redundancy than being tricky or flashy. It did also give a view of the speaker with a wall background to remove distractions from the background. I did also get a lot of positive comments about people enjoying it. For me it is more peace of mine. I think with setups leaving them in place helps to avoid may opportunities for issues to come up. I do however feel it would be a great idea for STSs to be in contact and share ideas and setup info in case something did come up on the night before maybe a piece of equipment can be shared. I do keep some spares around bot not and extra $1000 video switcher.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

svreed wrote:A visiting authority wanted to have text overly for music on tvs on the stand. The greatly increased the cost and complexity of the setup. It is nice to have a policy to keep it simple but when that request comes in you comply.
We do not have TVs on the stand. Nor do we have stake budget to cover that kind of a request. And I do not believe the FM Group would do it, either.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

svreed wrote:A visiting authority wanted to have text overly for music on tvs on the stand. ... It is nice to have a policy to keep it simple but when that request comes in you comply.
I would have informed him that between what is provided by FM and the meetinghouse policy, the church doesn't support doing that at the stake level. I'd also indicate the cost of doing so and that it would come out of the stake's activity budget.

The problem with always complying is that the authorities will think it's "no problem". And that creates problems for other stakes when they make requests of them. It is good to obey, but in my opinion, respectful pushback has it's place as well.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:It is good to obey, but in my opinion, respectful pushback has it's place as well.
I would not have told him anything at all. I would have let the stake president know of the situation and let him speak with the visiting authority.

The stake president gets to earn those blessings.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

lajackson wrote:
svreed wrote:A visiting authority wanted to have text overly for music on tvs on the stand. The greatly increased the cost and complexity of the setup. It is nice to have a policy to keep it simple but when that request comes in you comply.
We do not have TVs on the stand. Nor do we have stake budget to cover that kind of a request. And I do not believe the FM Group would do it, either.
We did a couple of weeks ago for the first time. A small TV was brought in, which was simpler than unmounting one from its stand in the library. We only have SD (composite) video distribution in our stake center so a shielded cable was run from a nearby RCA jack to the TV. We didn't have a visiting authority, but for the first time our stake presidency was able to see an SD version of the HD signal being sent to the other buildings. They commented on how nice it was to see people's faces when they spoke along with hymn lyrics and such. For us, it was an easy addition. It will only get better when our stake center is eventually upgraded to HD video distribution.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”