Blackmagic Design ATEM Television Producer

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
michaelfish

Boarders cropped with Chroma Key: SOLVED

Post by michaelfish »

I found a solution to the problem of a chroma-key cropping the edges of the picture due to laptop's boarders.

Instead of using the chroma-key feature, use the Pattern selection under Upstream Key1 and simply cut a hole in the lower thirds portion of the frame. The laptop's PowerPoint slides will appear crisper and cleaner than a chroma-key and gradient effects can be added with the Softness slider.

This PowerPoint shows how to set this up and has screenshots of the settings.
ATEM Key instructions.pps
keying hymns instructions on BMD ATEM TVS
(821 KiB) Downloaded 674 times
michaelfish

Analog Composite to Digital Encoder, Stabilizer & Audio Conv

Post by michaelfish »

Converting an analog composite signal to HDMI for the ATEM TVS requires a converter. These units can cost several hundreds of dollars (for each input) and they require very stable video signals. This weekend I found an alternative, inexpensive solution which had been lying around the house for years.

In working with inexpensive A2D converters, I found most of them were useless since the converters up-scaled to 1080p only (progressive) and the BMD ATEM TVS requires 1080i (interlaced). In addition, the 720p mode produced poor color and a lot of noise was inducted into the picture (grainy).

So I gave up and purchased the BMD CONVMAAS2 analog to SDI mini-converter ($300), which works great. It will convert composite, S-video, component or HD component to SDI but the incoming video signal must be very stable.

This weekend I was converting some old VHS tapes to digital with the CONVMAAS mini-converter, BMD ATEM TVS video switcher and Media Express software but found the unstable video signal from the old VHS tapes caused constantly lost signals whenever the tape went over bad scenes.

Then I discovered a wonderful and inexpensive solution to stabilize the picture, up-convert the analog composite signal to 1080i so it is compatible with the BMD ATEM TVS, and even output stereo audio on the HDMI port!

I simply used an old DVD recorder which had an HDMI output and selected the output option for the HDMI output to 1080i. I am not only pleased with the results of the VHS transfers but for our next stake conference, I will be able to utilize SD cameras AND HD cameras as well.

So if you are looking for an inexpensive way to convert analog composite video and audio to 1080i HDMI as well as stabilize the picture, try using a DVD recorder with 1080i selectable HDMI output. I have found some of these with bad DVD drives selling for $30 on-line. Be warned however, most new HDMI ports incorporate HDCP (stands for High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection, a copy protection scheme to eliminate the possibility of intercepting digital data midstream between the source to the display) and they will not work with the BMD ATEM TVS unless you can strip the HDCP signal (such as by using an HDMI splitter).
michaelfish

Xkey Panel - A MUST-have for the BMD ATEM Television Studio

Post by michaelfish »

XKeys XK-60 Control Panel.JPG
60-key control panel
(109.78 KiB) Downloaded 891 times
Although the Black Magic Design ATEM Television Studio can be operated via computer keyboard (as well as an Android or iPad device), I consider the Xkeys USB keyboard from PI Engineering a "must have" control surface for the ATEM TVStudio.

Keyboards and touch-screens do not provide tactile and sensory feedback of real control panels (costing $4,995), but the Xkey keypad does - and you can purchase one for $100.

In addition to controlling the ATEM TVStudio, the Xkey panel interacts with the computer keyboard in ways not possible with a regular control panel or standard PC keyboard. For instance, the top-left section of my panel launches programs, the bottom and center sections control the ATEM TVStudio and the top-right section controls the PowerPoint slides - all on the same laptop via the Xkey keypad.

BTW, the HDMI output of this laptop fed the ATEM TVStudio CAM-1 input, so the laptop 2nd display was for lyrics, speakers names, pictures of priesthood advancements and a video. The laptop's main screen was for control.

Here's where it gets really cool...

No matter which program is in the foreground of the laptop, when I press one of the upper-right keys (up, down, CONTinue or ESC), my PowerPoint program is brought to the active window and the key's function is executed. For instance, if I was to ALT-TAB to another program (doesn't matter which), when I press CONTinue, my PowerPoint program is made the active program and the PowerPoint presentation continues from the present slide. The up and down keys manipulate the PPT show properly - no need to ALT-TAB back and forth. (For you programmers out there, "If" statements are used along with IsActiveWindow and WindowToFront commands provide control.) The ATEM TVStudio controls still work, even though I am progressing through the PowerPoint Presentation.

With Macroworks 3.1 (supplied) and JustMacros (free) the Xkey keypad can send information to the correct device or program. JustMacros can record keypresses, populate and configure fields or send commands (such as the lower-thirds lyrics box position, width, PIP box size and source, etc.), all customized into one key. For an example, I was able to create a macro to memorize which camera is on the preview bus, then assign preview to the current camera on air, dissolve in the chroma-key the speaker's name over the camera on air, and restore the preview bus to the camera previously selected (I called this key "KEY IN/OUT").

In addition to the Xkey's tactile feel of a real control panel, the keys light up (red or blue) and provide feedback such as ON AIR or PREVIEW or ACTIVE. You'll notice in the picture above, the bottom of the panel is indicating which camera source is live (CAM2) which source is next (CAM3) and the CHROMA-KEY is active.

The panel can be used concurrently with the laptop's keyboard and functions. Rapid-firing keys still accurately controlled the ATEM TVStudio.

The clear plastic keys can be removed and combined with larger keys (AUTO and TAKE). A software template is also provided to create your own custom labels (one pre-cut sheet was supplied).

..all this for $199.
maxie4545

Re: Blackmagic Design ATEM Television Producer

Post by maxie4545 »

dear sir ..did you ever get the computer to play sound from the hdmi to the bmtv.. I get a video but no sound
michaelfish

Re: Blackmagic Design ATEM Television Producer

Post by michaelfish »

Some laptops/PC's must be configured to play the sound via the HDMI connector instead of the heaphone jack (or other). In Windows control panel (Win7 and 8), open SOUND, then in the PLAYBACK tab make sure the HDMI output is the default device. Then open the Black Magic Design ATEM software, click on the AUDIO tab (bottom), turn on and adjust the appropriate input. The LED bar graph on the right should reflect the output.

Hope this helps.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”