D80 Camera Discontinued

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
randysteck

Re: D80 Camera Discontinued

Post by randysteck »

I would only add that the need to distribute hymnal or put lyrics on the screen is greatly reduced by access to hymns on tablets and phone these days. The best thing we've found is to put the name and number of the hymn on the broadcast so the congregation can find the right one quickly.

Any processing you do on the video reinforcement signal will add some delay with shorter delays correlated with more expensive video mixers. We certainly didn't have or want to take the budget for those systems since they distracted from the primary broadcast goal. Others will have other goals, but keeping the two requirements separate seemed to help our internal conversations.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

randysteck wrote:The best thing we've found is to put the name and number of the hymn on the broadcast so the congregation can find the right one quickly.
Because we are decidedly low tech, we aim the camera at the stake center hymn number board at a set time before the conference and ask the operators to post or have them posted on the hymn boards in the various receiving meetinghouses.
randysteck

Post by randysteck »

I like it! The only reason we add the title is that it's easy with the vMix software which we're using for its other capabilities.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

randysteck wrote:I like it! The only reason we add the title is that it's easy with the vMix software which we're using for its other capabilities.
I am all for using the resources you have available. In my case, that is one camera and the pulpit microphone. We get it done, in spite of everything.
randysteck

Post by randysteck »

Our priority was a bit different. It was to make the remote experience as close to being at the stake center as possible at minimum cost. That dictated 1080P, going with an alternate webcast provider and the IP cameras/vMix options. Haven't looked back since.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:Because we are decidedly low tech, we aim the camera at the stake center hymn number board at a set time before the conference and ask the operators to post or have them posted on the hymn boards in the various receiving meetinghouses.
I like that - although if the audience extends into the overflow, the hymn board is going to have limited effectiveness. I'd suggest making sure it's announced just before the hymn - not one or more speakers in advance.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:I like that - although if the audience extends into the overflow, the hymn board is going to have limited effectiveness. I'd suggest making sure it's announced just before the hymn - not one or more speakers in advance.
That is up to the presiding officer and whomever he has assigned to conduct. (Although they know to do it that way if they want to hear any congregational singing.)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:That is up to the presiding officer and whomever he has assigned to conduct.
True, but sometimes they need a reminder. I've sat in meetings where the person conducting has rattled off the next hour and won't take the stand again until after the rest hymn.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mhsmith19

Post by mhsmith19 »

New STS looking for camera assistance. 4 mitigating factors - this system is used 2 times per year so feel a real need to keep expenses in line, current SP has no interest in broadcasting outside the building, the stake center is a 60 mile round trip drive, and this technology is not in my wheelhouse (hobby).

We project stake conference onto the screen in the cultural hall via projector using the standard D80 camera and remote control. Unfortunately this requires sitting where i can see the screen by eye and within line of sight with the camera remote control (there is a remote IR mounted in the tech closet and another about one foot off the floor about even with the screen). This has me looking almost straight up at the far left hand side of the cultural hall to ensure picture focus/quality/setting.

I would appreciate advice converting to a system that would allow the controller to sit in the choir loft and control the camera using a laptop. I'm reading positive use of less expensive IP PTZ cameras. I'm assuming they come with controller software that works acceptably well and allows one to ensure the camera is positioned so the image on screen in the cultural hall is positioned correctly. Is this an acceptable way to go so long as my FM agrees?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

missmini13 wrote:Unfortunately this requires sitting where i can see the screen by eye and within line of sight with the camera remote control (there is a remote IR mounted in the tech closet and another about one foot off the floor about even with the screen). This has me looking almost straight up at the far left hand side of the cultural hall to ensure picture focus/quality/setting.
I accidentally found a remote IR near the floor at the back right of the chapel, so I cannot see the cultural hall screen at all. But with the IR port there is a video out port, so I could hook up a TV and see what is happening.

Since we are also webcasting though, last time we just watched the VidiU interface on a laptop and ran the camera with a 4-5 second delay in the video to see how the positioning turned out.

Do you have a video out with the IR input? It would save some neck straining.

I would also like to move to some kind of laptop control for the camera, but I do not have the technical expertise to make it happen, and the FM Group (now 270 miles away) calls me anytime they get a network/computer/webcasting work order, even if I am the one who submitted it.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”