Has anyone used the D70 commander software with a camera other than Sony?

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
dnslynn

Has anyone used the D70 commander software with a camera other than Sony?

Post by dnslynn »

Our stake center recently had the audio and video retrofit including installing a Lumens A51S camera. Unfortunately the installer did not have the correct cable to finish installing an IR extender (lets you use the camera's IR remote in the control room to control the camera). And while they plan to finish the installation (perhaps in a week and a half) I have a stake conference to webcast in exactly two weeks. I'm thinking of using the RS422 hardware I had previously to connect to the Lumens camera's 422 input. While the Visca protocol is fairly standard, I'm just concerned that the D70 commander software may look for a Sony ID or something and then refuse to do anything else. Has anyone tried using D70 commander with other Visca cameras? I'll probably give it a shot anyway and report back what I find.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Re: Has anyone used the D70 commander software with a camera other than Sony?

Post by Mikerowaved »

Nice camera. Can I assume they ran an SDI coax to the satellite cabinet, then converted it to HDMI?

To answer your question, I'd be surprised if the VISCA software didn't work. Many PTZ cameras use this protocol originally designed by Sony.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dnslynn

Post by dnslynn »

Yes, they ran sdi from the camera to the rack, then used a MD-LX Decimator to convert that to HDMI. I found that the D70 commander works with the exception of a few functions. The PTZ functions all work. There is no titler in the camera so those commands fail. And, while the setting of presets works just fine, using a preset causes the camera to blank (black screen) the signal while moving. I put the "use preset 1" command in a command file and used that just fine without the blanking, so D70 commander may be sending something else along with the use preset command that the Lumens camera takes differently than the D70. The installers finished installing the IR remote, so that functionality is available for controlling the camera. Also note that the Lumens camera does not do an on screen confirmation of setting presets like the D70 did, so that makes it nicer if you need to set a preset during a broadcast.

Now I can control the camera all I need to do in the next week is figure out the audio. I found out at the last minute that although the rack provides chapel mix out, organ out and two mic outs (from the choir) along with a webcast in (for mixing these appropriately for a webcast) all using XLR connectors, that these are all balanced line level (-10dbV) not balanced 4dBu signals as I had assumed from the connectors (per the sound engineer that set the equalization for the system). So, now I just have to somehow come up with a level shifter or a pad in less than a week.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

dnslynn wrote:I found out at the last minute that although the rack provides chapel mix out, organ out and two mic outs (from the choir) along with a webcast in (for mixing these appropriately for a webcast) all using XLR connectors, that these are all balanced line level (-10dbV) not balanced 4dBu signals as I had assumed from the connectors (per the sound engineer that set the equalization for the system).
-10dbV? Balanced? On an XLR? Weird.

It may be the issue is that it really is +4dBu and it's just running "cold". (around -10VU) That's not surprising coming from a mic mixer, or the organ if it's post-volume control. You'd have to look up the specs of the equipment doing the sending to know for sure.

Beware of 1/4" line-level 3-conductor phone connectors. They may not be balanced but "impedance balanced". That's where the "plus" has all the signal (at twice the level) and the "minus" is just a resistor to ground. It's a "balanced friendly" unbalanced signal.

The big thing to watch out for is what you're feeding the encoder. The Teradeck wants 0.5v rms stereo unbalanced. Input impedance is 20k.

Reference:
dBv/dBu/volt calculator

How is impedance balancing audio different from normal balancing?

Build your own pads

Audio input specifications on the VidiU product line
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

dnslynn wrote:And, while the setting of presets works just fine, using a preset causes the camera to blank (black screen) the signal while moving. I put the "use preset 1" command in a command file and used that just fine without the blanking, so D70 commander may be sending something else along with the use preset command that the Lumens camera takes differently than the D70.
My Sony D80 camera blanks while moving with software presets too. I didn't think the software might be sending a Blank --> Move --> Unblank sequence. Have to try a direct command next time I have it fired up. Would LOVE to use presets without blanking.
dnslynn wrote:Now I can control the camera all I need to do in the next week is figure out the audio. I found out at the last minute that although the rack provides chapel mix out, organ out and two mic outs (from the choir) along with a webcast in (for mixing these appropriately for a webcast) all using XLR connectors, that these are all balanced line level (-10dbV) not balanced 4dBu signals as I had assumed from the connectors (per the sound engineer that set the equalization for the system). So, now I just have to somehow come up with a level shifter or a pad in less than a week.
I have a cheap audio mixer I keep around for stuff like that.
dnslynn

Post by dnslynn »

Mikerowaved wrote:My Sony D80 camera blanks while moving with software presets too. I didn't think the software might be sending a Blank --> Move --> Unblank sequence. Have to try a direct command next time I have it fired up. Would LOVE to use presets without blanking.
The camera I had prior to the Lumens was a D80 camera, but I put it in D70 mode (switch 1 on the bottom of the camera on) and didn't get blanking on preset.

For the level adjustment I ended up using a RDL TX-1A (balanced to unbalanced transformer with an adjustable 4 to 24 db pad) that was left over after the install. I set the level by driving the mixer output to its clipping level and then decreasing the loss adjustment from maximum until I got close to .9V peak on the Vidiu input.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

dnslynn wrote:For the level adjustment I ended up using a RDL TX-1A (balanced to unbalanced transformer with an adjustable 4 to 24 db pad) that was left over after the install.
I'll have to keep that in mind. Most of the transformers I found had a description that suggested they were for mic-level stuff. I was afraid going to line level would push them into saturation.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”