Blank Video no Sound for Scheduled Event

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
johnshaw

Blank Video no Sound for Scheduled Event

Post by johnshaw »

So I was testing my setup this morning, we were upgraded to HDMI at the cabinet and I need to get this new dedicated receiver beta tested.

Scheduled my event like usual (I was also part of the beta for auto config so that has been up and running for a while)

When the event started, I saw blank video (black screen) and no audio

I took the HDMI cable plugged into the teradek and plugged it into a TV, I saw Audio and Video at the TV. And when I unplugged the HDMI from the teradek, I saw the Teradek indicate that 'no video' on the LED front panel, as well as seeing the 'successful video message' when I plugged it back in.

So it appears the Event was scheduled and working ok (I was getting telemetry data for both upload and download), the audio and video were being received by the Teradek. BUT what I was receiving from the webcast solution was a blank screen with no audio.

Anyone experience something like this in the past. I called into the GSC and the helpful frontline person wanted to know if I'd followed the instructions correctly and whether I'd plugged the Teradek into a computer, and attempting to get to Tier 2 was unsuccessful. I'm wondering if the Microsoft stuff was just jacked up, anyone know how to tell or have experienced something similar?
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Blank Video no Sound for Scheduled Event

Post by russellhltn »

I was doing a test last night. I think I experienced the same thing, but the video started up when I plugged the camera back in. You might want to make sure you're feeding from a camera and not something like a DVD as there might be DRM or some compatibility issue that messes things up. I was also using auto config for the first time.

I was also using my phone to connect to the Teradek. I was seeing the blank video there, so it was something with the Teradek, not SLC (unless it was something in the auto config). Depending on your phone, you can use the VidiU app or connect to the unit via IP (if you leave a AP running).
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Ya, I was connected, originally, to the Teradek with the IP on a computer and downloaded the app just to see if It was seeing the same thing. I was using the satellite as the input, and because it was 5am I'm now not remembering whether I had the camera on for 100% certain, but I'm positive I started with the camera and when I didn't have anything I switched the input to the satellite - So I'm pretty sure I used both. But I unhooked the HDMI cable connected to the Teradek and plugged it back in several times during that period.

My feed comes from an HDMI Switch, it has two outputs, one that goes to a small LED/TV mounted at the cabinet, and the other is the Teradek. What do you mean by 'plug the camera back in' does that mean your equipment is more ad-hoc and not centralized at a cabinet in the library or something?
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Definitely more ad-hoc. In my test setup, I go direct from camera to Teradek. At this point, what I'm suspecting is that SLC's config file (which is what makes the auto-config work) sets us up for failure. I think it was my unplugging the HDMI cable that forced the Teradek to "update" the connection that fixed it. (Much like unplugging a LAN cable will force the NIC to re-initialize the connection.) However, I might have done that while not broadcasting. The Teradek "locks down" while streaming so it might not have re-initialized for you.

I'll add that if upload is interrupted, the beta webcast receiver will switch back to the pre-roll video until the broadcast resumes. So the fact you were seeing blank points to the Terakek sending "blank".

All in all, I'm really happy with the receiver (although I do have suggestions for improvement) - the broadcast side, not so much. That was the source of all my frustration during the test.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
danpass

Post by danpass »

I was also testing the new receiver last night. We also are using auto config, but not for the first time. We started using it in August for our stake conference broadcasts.

During the first half hour of our test window, everything was fine. At about 8:30 PM PDT, our screen also went black. The vidiU display showed that it was in a ready state. I pushed the start/stop button to start broadcasting again. Telemetry data shows that the vidiU was connected during that time, but the receive rate dropped significantly.
Capture.PNG
(52.45 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Receive Telemetry.PNG
(46.08 KiB) Not downloaded yet
I power-cycled the vidiU and we completed our test with no other issues.
Last edited by danpass on Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Assuming that everyone got their receiver when I did (two Mondays ago), it's amazing that so many of us were testing only now. <grin>

danpass

Post by danpass »

russellhltn wrote:Assuming that everyone got their receiver when I did (two Mondays ago), it's amazing that so many of us were testing only now. <grin>
I was surprised when mine was delivered by FedEx on Saturday (9/21). I've been feeling bad that it took me so long to test. I see I'm in good company... ;)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

danpass wrote:I've been feeling bad that it took me so long to test. I see I'm in good company... ;)
Well, company anyway. :D

johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

So, I decided to take off early from work and try and do some troubleshooting before my daughter's volleyball game. I didn't make the game.

A second call to the GSC, this time the helpful frontline employee again asked me if I'd followed the instructions, after explaining that I had good signal up to the point the cable plugged into the teradek (see above - I can take the same cable and see the audio/video on a TV, using the SAME CABLE that plugs into the teradek) - The front line employee then asked to put me on hold so he could speak to his supervisor, 10 minutes later he came back on the line and asked me if I had followed the instructions correctly. By this time I'm livid and asked to speak to his supervisor, and finally made enough stink that I got second line support. Why is it so hard to get through that first group? They can't even follow what I'm saying. He kept asking if I knew where the documents were - dude I knew where those documents were when it was LDSCLERKWIKI. He started to walk me through setting up an event.... So, Like I said, I have an event LIVE up and broadcasting right now, which you could see if you took 30 seconds of not assuming it's my fault.

OK, so finally got to 2nd tier, who was also focused on my setup. You see, I admitted to them that I had a new HDMI setup in the building since my last recording, so obviously, it must be that,. THE SAME CABLE, THE SAME CABLE. Which Unit do you have, why is there a HDMI Digital Amplifier? I don't know, All I know is that I see the picture from the CAMERA in the TV, but not at the Teradek. Well, sir, do you know how to access to Teradek from a web browser? Uh duh, of course, what do you need to know? Well, what does it say along the left side, oh, it says LIVE, connected, shows a video signal and that you have 100% battery... yes, yes, it's broadcasting an EVENT right now. If I reboot I get the fun Bible Video, then back to the blank signal.

I'm picking up a new Teradek tomorrow, hopefully that fixes the issue.

-John (I've done over one hundred webcasts don't ask me if I've read the paperwork on how to set it up)

<rant over>
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

So you see a picture from the video on the web page? When mine acted up, it showed black screen and apparently sent black screen.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”