Delayed Audio

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Delayed Audio

Post by lajackson »

I'm receiving a webcast where the audio is a good 3/4 second delayed. Where should I look?

Laptop using Firefox and church player.
HDMi from laptop to projector.
Projector audio out to chapel system.

At first I suspected chapel system, but when I unplug audio at projector that speaker is also delayed

Originating site says audio and video are synced.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Delayed Audio

Post by russellhltn »

See what it's like at the laptop.

The projector may be doing some image processing that's causing a delay, but if that's the case, it will usually delay the audio to match.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

It wasn't the laptop, per se. Reloading the church webcasting page brought audio and video into nearly perfect sync. I have never had this problem before nor thought of that as a solution.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

lajackson wrote:It wasn't the laptop, per se. Reloading the church webcasting page brought audio and video into nearly perfect sync. I have never had this problem before nor thought of that as a solution.
I was going to suggest that. We had a case where there was video without audio at one receive site. A quick refresh on the notebook's webpage restored everything to normal.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Mikerowaved wrote:I was going to suggest that. We had a case where there was video without audio at one receive site. A quick refresh on the notebook's webpage restored everything to normal.
A followup. Through experimentation the following day, using a link available for a webcast that we did not show to our stake, I loaded the page and started watching. Then I minimized the page to do something else while I listened to the webcast. Returning a few minutes later, I noticed that the audio was a little behind the video. I left the page again to do other things, including watching a previously downloaded Book of Mormon video.

Returning once again to the webcast, the audio was significantly delayed. A page refresh put them back in sync.

It appears that Firefox is not able to keep the audio up to speed when something else is happening. I do not know if this is solely a FF/laptop problem, or if the church player is not sending some kind of audio/video sync signal to keep things in check. This does not happen when I have other AV things running (think YouTube or other streaming sites). It has only happened while streaming from the church site.

Returning to the problem of Friday evening, I originally loaded the webcast, then showed another previously downloaded short video to the congregation, instead of running the noisy webcast chapel source. (I was running the other videos using the Windows 10 Movies and TV app).

When the webcast began a few minutes after the local video, I noticed it was slightly out of sync, but it got progressively worse until I reloaded the page toward the end of the webcast. The audio itself was nearly perfect, and I did not want to disturb the flow of the spoken word. Also, the delay was only noticeable when the camera was presenting a tight shot from the pulpit, which did not happen very often during this particular meeting.

So at the least, it appears Firefox has a problem, which may possibly be exacerbated by something that is (or is not) in the church webcast stream itself.

I share this so that others who experience the same problem are aware of what happened and may determine to attempt a page reload. Fortunately, the reload can be done and the webcast restarted in about three seconds.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

lajackson wrote:So at the least, it appears Firefox has a problem.
Were you able to test on any other browsers?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

sbradshaw wrote:Were you able to test on any other browsers?
I did not. I guess I could have, but didn't think about it. I have Edge on my laptop, which I used until FF was allowed.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”