Simulcast of stake conference

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
rrstephenson

Post by rrstephenson »

We have used Q-Bridge for our last two conferences in West Valley City, Utah (Salt Lake Granger South Stake.) It is line-of-sight between our two buildings and it has worked flawlessly for our conference last October and again for our conference last month. I highly recommend it. Ours has a bandwith up to 4 Mb/sec but the new ones go as high as 12 Mb/sec bandwidth depending on your distance. You can read about it at http://connexwireless.com/Q-Bridge/about/.
rpyne

Post by rpyne »

Has anyone looked at using the HAVA along with a Darwin Streaming Server as a multicast reflector? With the limited information on the protocols used by the HAVA, it looks like it might work.
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

rpyne wrote:Has anyone looked at using the HAVA

I ran a test of the HAVA Titanium HD against the SlingBox Pro and found the the SlingBox WM9 protocol used less bandwidth as the HAVA's MPEG-4 Advanced Simple Profile format and although SlingBox WM9 bandwidth was less, the picture quality looked virtually the same (I had both streaming simultaneously).
mrusson-p40

Our experience

Post by mrusson-p40 »

I can chime in and give our setup as we currently have it. We also elected to broadcast from our Stake Center to our outlying buildings.
We originally connected DSL lines to each of the buildings, at the cost of about 40 dollars per month per building for a 7 meg down 1 meg up connection.

We then purchased a new PC which was a quad core with an Osprey 210 video capture card. We then decided to use Adobe Flash Media Encoder rather than MS Windows Media Encoder due to Flash being a better stream in our testing. The camera we use is a Sony EVI-D70 which we keep close to the PC on a tripod, so we don't need a huge cable to run remotely for connection or power. We connect via S-video cable from the camera to the capture card. Audio is plugged into the sound card from the chapel sound.

Then we signed up with a commercial streaming company which cost us 40 dollars a month to stream the bandwidth we need. The streaming service allows unlimited simultaneous downloads, so having 3 buildings connected to the stream is not an issue at all.

The signal is uploaded at approximately 600k per second in our setup. Download speeds at the receiving buildings are also 7 meg connections so speed is not an issue. Each receiving building uses a simple laptop connected to the internet and a projector. They use the EJ-10 crabs at each location to plug into the sound system at each chapel at a microphone input location.

The signal has always been good quality compared to the Windows Media Encoder that we tried once before. I recall having a broadcast fail during a Stake Conference and our visiting authority was President Rasband of the 70. That was a bad day for a failure, and we were forced to use the audio backup over the phone system.

We tracked the issue back to the encoder. For some reason it would not allow us near the quality, and so we switched to flash media encoder and never looked back. The streaming company actually likes flash encoding better as well. The stream can play back on any computer with a flash plugin installed, which is nearly all of them. You don't need special software to receive the stream, and the Adobe Flash Media Encoder is free. Simply enter the URL of the stream into the web browser and up it comes.

Hopefully that helps someone out a bit.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”